Lead Bay

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi

I am planning on capping my plastic bay window with Code 4 Lead.

Am I right in thinking I need to mount the lead on 18mm ply.
If so how will I stick the ply and then the lead?

Thanks

p.s. any other tips on this job will help
Thanks Again :eek:

Sponsored Links
You don`t stick lead ;) But if you are just after a cosmetic effect from the lead...A picture of bay would be useful :idea:

My english leaves a lot to be desired.

I meant how do I fix the ply to the plastic UPVC top of the bay.
I think the lead then just lays on the ply. I may clip the lead into the brickwork though
At the moment it i not leaking but I know it is only a matter of time.
The bay is 3 meters wide and about 350 deep. Its a flat top.

I was planning of fixing the ply and then laying the lead under the existing lead flashings

I have been quoted nearly £300 but I can but the lead for £70 and do it myself.

Thanks

Three metres is to long for code 4 so it's not simply a matter of laying the lead out.. hence the £300.... can you post a picture?

Sponsored Links
Hi. If fitted correctly the lead will last for decades. However as has been said, the length you describe must be divided up into smaller bays. And its a case of the more you do the luckier you get. Forming the roll ends etc is difficult with out some previous experience, and can end up with a lot of scrap lead. As a guide have a look at the link http://justlead.co.uk/news/ there are images of sheet lead roofs, although deeper than your the same layout applies. Good Luck

I would not recommend you do this yourself.

Even some so-called roofers are not aware of what is involved with this kind of work.

As the lead pro's above have stated, a roof of your size, although not large, will require rolls etc to deal with the expansion. You don't just roll out a 2' sheet of lead then dress it into position!

If you do try and do it in one hit it wont last long before it buckles and splits.

I would also recommend insulating the deck at the same time.

As this is a diy forum ;) I suggest that welts could be done instead of rolls - but each one filled with lead sealant so that the expansion can take place and the water don`t get in :idea: It`s something a keen diy`er could do . (In fact I`m going to mock one up myself ..I have about 10 feet of old 18" lead lying in the garden) How long will the silicone sealer last? is the only question. I`m just going to the garden ...I may be some time

I've done a few of these using leadmate,really go to town with the wire brush.Do both facing sides of the lead with the wire brush,then i put two lines of sealant and dress the lead back down.Clean up the excess lead that might sqeeze out with a rag.

Make sure it`s a LEADWORKING roofer -or you`ll end up with Roy or Pete :cry:

Make sure it`s a LEADWORKING roofer -or you`ll end up with Roy or Pete :cry:

The two blokes who run the cafe by me are called Roy and Pete. Could it be them? I think they bat for the other team though. Well thats what most of us think.

:LOL: Diddacai Roy and ***** Pete :idea: do they allow that behavior in their culture :?:

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back