lead flashing dormer extension?

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi all,
I am having a dormer extension built and re-roofed..
The tiles they have used for the roof are Calderdale and are flat with no ridges in them.
I have noticed that the lead flashing from the dormer to the roof tiles lets light through..! and I think would not be water tight? see attached
Is this bad workmanship..? and if so, how should this be done with this type of tile?
Any advice very welcome.
Thanks
legepe

Attachments

• 20181214_085725.jpg
    20181214_085725.jpg
    156.9 KB · Views: 3,598
Sponsored Links
It just needs tapping down. They could reach across with the straight-edge they will use to straighten up the verge.

Presumably, the membrane under the tiles is turned up the dormer to catch any driven rain that might get through.

Presumably, the membrane under the tiles is turned up the dormer to catch any driven rain that might get through.
I dont think there is anything turned up the dormer cheek apart from the lead... but between the lead and the roof tile there is daylight and if there was some type of membrane turned up.. i guess I wouldnt see any daylight

Felt is opaque, but membrane is a bit translucent so can let diffused light in, but not direct daylight.

Any felt or membrane sarking should be turned up any abutment to prevent rain getting past it. If it's not, it's wrong.

Sponsored Links
ideally soakers should be used.. how ever , as already said dress the lead to the tile profile and hope no water tracks back.
the tile next to the new looking one half way up is broken. verge is a mess

Straight from the mouth of Sandtoft, For profile tiles side abutments can be weathered using a cover flashing. For flat tiles a secret gutter should be used in addition to a cover flashing.
Individual soakers work too.

Soakers are only for double lap tiles and slates, as each soaker should be supported by a tile - you don't get this with single lap interlocking tiles - which would need a continuous soaker aka a secret gutter. (y)

I can see where you are coming from, but some of the lead will be unsupported. Just sayin.

I make individual lead soakers that sit beneath flat interlocking single lap fellas. I turn the edges of the lead up.
Absolutely right. However we do support the center area with timber.
was normal practice
Continuous secret gutters fine too.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back