Lead flashing on flat roof - around bargeboard and soffit?

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hey guy’s. Great job you all do on here providing home owners with impartial advice, thanks.

We had some water coming in the ceiling below our flat roof extension a number of months ago. Immediately I thought it was the old felt (circa 20 years) and emergency roof sealed the seams etc to get us through the wet spell and with a view to getting sorted when the weather picks up. I have a professional roofer coming out in a few weeks to torch on new felt. Anyway, water continued to ingress on that occasion and a day or so later I found a small gap in the soffit at the corner where the water looked to be potentially ingressing. You can see a few images. I put flashing on this and haven’t had any drips since (touch wood). The pro’s here will have a giggle as it looks like a bit of a dogs dinner but it’s a temporary DIY job until I have it professionally seen to in a few weeks cause the felt is probably past it to be honest.

Whilst I do have complete faith in the roofer I now use, I’ve had my fingers burnt before with other tradesmen so just looking for opinions really. I’m curious to people’s opinion on what you should be best practice when lead meets soffit (bargeboard?) in this example.

When this roof was last seen to however many years ago they seem to have worked the lead around the soffit at the bottom corner of the triangle roof however my issue with that is if water gets in behind the soffit (therefore behind the lead) there’s then nothing protecting it from the plasterboard below and surely it’ll just work a way out below.

So what would you do? Is best practice to take the uPVC soffit removed, work the lead all the way under so the entire length of the gable wall and then put the soffit back on? Appreciate the advice ladies and gents. Cheers.

Attachments

• 76645E70-6099-4B81-A40E-B10D9D0AC66E.jpeg
    76645E70-6099-4B81-A40E-B10D9D0AC66E.jpeg
    479.6 KB · Views: 425
  • E932F562-9AB6-40A4-A1F6-720CF28AA87B.jpeg
    E932F562-9AB6-40A4-A1F6-720CF28AA87B.jpeg
    391 KB · Views: 463
  • ACEE16DB-8E2F-4058-8A67-310C74CBA82B.jpeg
    ACEE16DB-8E2F-4058-8A67-310C74CBA82B.jpeg
    343.2 KB · Views: 424
Sponsored Links
The aprons would be fixed under the barge and any other wood then channelled into the wall along the length of the gable abutment.

Thanks @Ker-plunk , appreciate the reply. So uPVC should be removed, led apron straight all the way along the gable channeled in to the wall. Soffit then put back on over it?

This would all have been done a very long time ago but I’m obviously keen to have it put right.

Does anyone have any images of what it should look like? Thanks.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back