PVC cladding over old (probably asbestos) soffits

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
As I slowly try to sort out house repairs I'm aware a new roof is looming. We have a roofer coming tomorrow to repair a few tiles but it's an old torched roof and wedges of cement are falling left right and centre and we're one of the few remaining houses on the estate with the original 1950's roof on so I'm sure I'll be advised to think about this soon.

But my question is about the soffits - I've been up looking at the drainpipes and the soffits and soaking to neighbours who've had theirs replaced. It seems they're likely to contain asbestos and it looks like people have had them clad with PVC. I've been looking up at lots of soffits and can't work out how they're attached - it looks like they're in under the lip of the bargeboard and then a copious amount of silicon sealant at the brick edge. Am I missing something hidden holding these up?

Secondly, I'm going to get a quote from a roofer this week but is this a sensible thing to do i.e. cladding? The soffits are generally on reasonable shape with some flaking paint although there's a few corners broken off where they've made holes for drainpipes, although there's a couple of bits look like they're sagging down. Everyone I've ever met is very cavalier about asbestos so I'm not sure if new soffits would be just put on regardless of condition?

My final question is that I understand both asbestos cement and asbestos insulation board were used for soffits with the latter being much more hazardous. Is there a simple way to tell which you're dealing with? I know neither is great but cement board is the lesser of the two evils.

Sponsored Links

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back