Lead flashing. Patination oil delay

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
due to work and time constraints I managed to squeeze in some lead flashing done on a day off. Ended up stopping due to heavy rain. Had no time to rub patination oil on. This was 3 days ago and with work won’t be able to till Tuesday.

The oil states put it on by the end of the days work. I assume as the lead will start to oxidise fairly quickly. What should I do to my lead before oiling after this time delay?

Sponsored Links
I wouldnt think a fee days is a prob.

I think patination oil is more for preventing lead staining rather than the lead itself.

Ive found 3 coats are needed to stop lead staining glass on conservatories.

The oil states put it on by the end of the days work. I assume as the lead will start to oxidise fairly quickly. What should I do to my lead before oiling after this time delay?
Try rubbing it with semen;)

Try rubbing it with semen;)

.........as long as he decants it from its dispenser before he goes up on the roof.
I tried it several years ago but it didn't go very far; and I found it very exhausting.

Last edited:
Sponsored Links
due to work and time constraints I managed to squeeze in some lead flashing done on a day off. Ended up stopping due to heavy rain. Had no time to rub patination oil on. This was 3 days ago and with work won’t be able to till Tuesday.

Maybe get some very fine wire wool on it and then re-oil; don't forget to do the underside as well because water run-off from condensation will also cause staining.
Nothing worse than a nicely-done roof ruined by lead-staining.

A70151E5-E7FD-4DEB-B332-EF8AC9906236.png

How do you write on the white background? ===o

Last edited:
Pils - if your oil doesn't work the worst that can happen is you'll get white stains from the lead on the tiles. What's the odd white stain between friends ?;)

All these years of flashing, and I've only heard the notion of using patination oil here on this forum. What's that all about? o_O

And will it stain my raincoat? :cautious:

All these years of flashing, and I've only heard the notion of using patination oil here on this forum. What's that all about? o_O

And will it stain my raincoat? :cautious:
Disappointed Woody. Your reputation as the cynical oracle has just gone down the pan.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back