Lead Flashing

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
I have just had lead flashing put on top of a flat roof and have been getting white streaks down the woodwork after it has rained. I went to get some patination oil today, but they said you should only use it on new lead.

Can I just paint the lead (any special type of paint), or any other ideas please?

I am a mere female, so although quite handy with DIY, cannot do any really heavy work :confused:

Sponsored Links
You can get the wire wool out and clean the lead, then patinate it....bet you had a dodgy roofer do it, not an old school plumber like me ;)

Not quite a dodgy roofer - more a crap builder! Have been trying to sort my down pipes today! May ask questions about them as well!

Thanks for the reply. I have fine wire wool, presume that will be better, but how should I clean it before going over with patination oil if it mustn't be wet?

Sponsored Links
one more question .....

because it is covering the top of some wood, which is varnished in rosewood, could I not paint it instead, as I think it may look nicer? If I can, what preparation, so I don't get the streaks coming down, and what is the best paint? :)

alifrank1 said:
Well, my old dad....was a painter for years.and his dad B4 `im and they told me you can`t get paint to stay on lead :oops: BUT you may get an up to date answer from the decorating forum.......

:evil:

listen mate ........... after having to redo my buider's mistakes, including a downpipe that was put in 1 foot from the drain, so the water soaked into the side of the house, I can't trust plumbers either!

A few years ago, we had a plumber in to redirect some guttering. It cost £250 and it took him no time! After visiting wickes a few times in the past months, I reckon I could do a better job - it's just like putting lego together (apart from the hacksaw and gutter cement)!

Shame I'm too old to get an apprenticeship or I'm sure I charge half the price and still make a good profit!

Go back to playing with your lego :evil:

Nige F
"not an old school plumber like me !"

an me ,old lad ..lol ... pass me them bossing tools ..lol ;)

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back