Lead Flashing

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi guys great show as always,

Had a week off to rest me back after falling through the roof :oops:

got back to work and intend to finish the roof tomoz, question is what size lead flashing do i need to use to finish the roof off, is it 9" that i need.

Sponsored Links
TonyB/Ex Roofer adv craft/Surveyor-Hi Stan.
The size of the lead cover flashing is generally dependant on the overlap required on the roof covering,also it depends on the cut out chase ie is it into a rendered surface or a brick joint.Ideally on a normal roof pitch ie above 35 degrees it would be good to have 75-100mm lap on the roof covering/and turn 1 inch into the chase.Placing more lead on is not always good as the extra weight causes drag down the roof.Place the lead in 1.5m lengths with 150mm side lap.I always thorght it better to place straps beneath the flashing and then turn this to hold the flashing against the structure.Use lead wedges and point in cement mortar.Use code 4 if possible,and prepare your flashing Ist.Ie well cut clean joint and use your tape to allow 1 inch into the wall,then measure the upstand and the rest is cover.It is always easier when the work is prepared properly prior to the intallation of the lead.Using the straps allows you to dress the lead better as it can not pull away.Cut the straps approx a quarter of an inch above the bottom of the flashing.Good luck.

Just one tip, we tend to use lead mate(grey coloured mastic) instead of a sand/cement mix to do the pointing of the lead, its flexable and will not crack and fall out like the mortar does.
Hope this helps
Dave

Sponsored Links
Just one tip, we tend to use lead mate(grey coloured mastic) instead of a sand/cement mix to do the pointing of the lead, its flexable and will not crack and fall out like the mortar does.
Hope this helps
Dave

Leadmate is what I always use and have had no complaints in over 12 years.

Don't point it up with sand/cement, Use the correct sealant.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back