Lead Flat Roof - Urgent - Sorry!

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
I need to replace my flat roof to my utility room.

After considering all the options I have come to the conclusion that lead may be the best approach. I know all the other systems give many years guarantee but I really want a permanent solution.

Apart from the risk of it being pinched, what are the drawbacks/advantages of lead?
How much will an area 2.5 metres x 4.5 meters be roughly. The roof is flashed into the brickwork along the long side and against a tiled pitched roof on the short side. The other two sides are free.

I am getting a quote today so I need to have some up-front knowledge.

Thanks for your help in advance

Sponsored Links
Disadvantages:-
It will be much more expensive than getting it covered with mineral or EPDM and will also require more labour(time),therefore more expense.

Advantages:-
Lead will last for years!! And if done by a good leadworker it will IMHO look a lot better than mineral or EPDM

In this day and age, the only reasons for a lead roof is for aesthetics on a listed building or in a conservation area etc. Or perhaps access issues

Is there a need for a permanent solution if you will not be permanently living there?

The cost of lead and skilled labour, makes it disproportionate to the benefits, IMO

edit

Don't forget the weight issue - can the structure support it. Also what about condensation on the underside?

A local charitable society I'm associated with had the lead stolen off the roof not long ago.

B'stards.

We re-did it in EDPM

I've also heard of stainless steel sheet with a lead coating which weathers to give the traditional appearance. Never seen it (as far as I know)

Sponsored Links
It's a fairly small area.. yes it wont be as cheap as torch on or some single plys.. but by far the best

Another option if you are still looking to use lead (which can last the life of a building if done correctly) would be then to coat the lead, we've done this for a builder with a product called Sealoflex after a few other lead roofs were stripped on the same building. OK it adds to the cost but makes it a lot less attractive for the toe-rags who steal it

In this day and age, the only reasons for a lead roof is for aesthetics on a listed building or in a conservation area etc. Or perhaps access issues

Is there a need for a permanent solution if you will not be permanently living there?

The cost of lead and skilled labour, makes it disproportionate to the benefits, IMO

edit

Don't forget the weight issue - can the structure support it. Also what about condensation on the underside?

Agreed, there are enough HT felts available that if installed correctly will give many years of life.

Personally i am not a fan of 'rubber' roofs, or single ply, a good felt will be the way forward imo, along the lines of Bauder etc.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back