Lead mains water pipe

Dit

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
The survey for a house we are buying amongst a million other things states that the lead mains water supply should be replaced by copper. I know the issues regarding health, and am prepared to discount them in my decision. However its not clear to me if the other justification of pipe splitting is suitable grounds?

Are there any other factors to consider?

I expect we are looking at a fairly hefty bill to lay a new pipe. I'm starting a separate topic regarding the drains.

many thanks,

Tim

Sponsored Links
From the road to the stopcock indoors should be plastic. Then copper (or if you insist - plastic) from thereon in. Health is the main reason, splitting has nowt to do with it (although repairing copper/plastic is much easier than lead), unless you intend to add new pipwork, in which case it's easier and cheaper to use "modern" fittings instead of putting conversion couplings all over the place.

Not sure that you'll be able to negotiate a drop in price over it though.

A lot of houses on market will have lead feeding from doorstep inwards, all the way up to tank.

Not necessarily very expensive to change, but that depends on the floors / wallpaper - stuff that might get disturbed for access.

I did one once for £ 75 - from front door to loft in 3 bedroom house in NW10.

Old lead pipe gets some sort of oxidation coating on inside preventing / reducing lead contamination into water, I believe. Physical stress on the pipe is what is likely to cause split or tiny leaks / drips.

If you are doing building work or house decorating, best remove the lead while there is disruption - the plumbing side is easy, it's the floors / wall access that is most of the labour.

Sponsored Links
The house needs a total refit so damage to plaster etc is irrelevant. There have been big problems with roots damaging subsurface structures, and the mains pipe is in the vulnerable zone. There is no water meter luckily for the current owner. Thank you very much for your answers.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back