Replacing lead pipe, identifying pipe material

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
PICTURE:
Hi All,

I'm replacing the lead water mains in my house. The picture shows where the lead water mains meets a t-piece. I'm not sure what this is made of, it doesn't seem to be magnetic (just used a little fridge magnet). It's kind of a dull greyish colour, so doesn't look like copper to me, but I'm no expert.

I want to remove the lead pipe coming up on the right of the photo. I want to keep supply to the pipe that carries on to the left of the photo.

At some point in the future, I'll be getting a plumber in to actually sort out a lot of issues, move the boiler and a bunch of other stuff. However, right now I need to replace the water mains to be able to start several other jobs.

So, i'm looking for the easiest fix to keep a water supply, replace that lead pipe and not have to muck around with all the other pipes (if possible!). If not possible, then please let me know how annoying this is going to be.

Can I just replace the lead pipe with some copper, is there a fitting that will go with this t-piece?
Should I just attach copper to the lead with a leadloc fitting a bit further back down the mains?

As I say, looking for an easy solution not the best solution :D

Hope you can help, cheers.

PICTURE:

Sponsored Links
There's not much point just replacing a bit of a lead supply pipe (unless its a temporary job to fix a leak). You need to replace the lead all the way back to your water suppliers stopcock (with 25mm MDPE) if you want to improve flow and pressure. If you can't or don't want to do that then leave it alone.

EDIT Scratch the unknown bits of pipe with a nail to reveal their material.

There's not much point just replacing a bit of a lead supply pipe (unless its a temporary job to fix a leak). You need to replace the lead all the way back to your water suppliers stopcock (with 25mm MDPE) if you want to improve flow and pressure. If you can't or don't want to do that then leave it alone.

EDIT Scratch the unknown bits of pipe with a nail to reveal their material.
Thanks for the reply!

Yes, I'm doing this as part of the process of replacing my lead mains with 25m MDPE. The trench for that is dug, etc.

What I need to do is then join that new MDPE pipe to this T piece. It will be MDPE under the floor then, I suppose, copper up to this pipework shown in the photo.

Looking for advice on how to do thart part. Scratching with a nail, the left pipe is definitely lead.

Gave it all a good scratch, and it all seems to come up quite shiny. So I guess it's all lead?

Where does the pipe going left go ?- if it is lead you should be replacing it, if you're on a shared main (and it goes to next door) then you need a bit of a rethink.

Sponsored Links
Where does the pipe going left go ?- if it is lead you should be replacing it, if you're on a shared main (and it goes to next door) then you need a bit of a rethink.
Thanks. We're not on shared supply. This is in the eaves of my house. The pipe going left supplies some taps downstairs (gone now) and a toilet (in use).

As I say, it will all be being replaced as we will eventually be moving the boiler and moving bathrooms etc. However, to be able to get on with other jobs I need to change the water mains now, hence I want to figure out how to connect my new MDPE in an acceptable, but easy way if possible.

Sounds like maybe I'll need to replace the the T-piece itself with a copper one, to take the new copper and replace the pipe going left as well, and replace the short big of lead going up to the copper.

Looking for advice on how to do thart part. Scratching with a nail, the left pipe is definitely lead.

Gave it all a good scratch, and it all seems to come up quite shiny. So I guess it's all lead?

no.

The swelling on the right is lead. The straight pipe coming out of it is pretty sure to be copper. The swelling is a wiped joint used to attach copper to lead.

Observe that all the fittings are brass compression. They cannot be used on lead or steel.

I can't see "the pipe on the left." Show me what's on the left.

You might do better to scour them with wire wool to remove tarnish and see the colour.

Stand back and take a wider pic.

Did the house once have gas lighting?

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back