Lead pipe replacement

They nhave to replace upto their stoptap. If that is in your house then they have to replace that to.

Sponsored Links
Thanks for all the replies.

powell30 and gavinda - I'm now thinking about replacing the cold supply pipe in 22mm. Is this generally considered a sensible idea? it'd be a fairly easy run, except at the other side of the bath, but if I can get 22mm to the shower and bath, the extra flow would be useful.

Obviously this would be after the lead pipe has been changed over.

i'm no expert but yeah, if you can afford it, and it doesnt require major work then definitely increase the pipe size.

Further to the kind replies above I've been in contact again with plumbers and United Utilities etc. Plumber quoted £460 to do the pipework and dig the trench or £180 to just do the pipework. Time to dust off the spade methinks!

When I contacted United Utilities today we were accepted straight on the scheme and their works are all free, even if they have to dig up the road (apparently the main is on the other side of the road).

The question I have is: When on the phone to UU, the person I spoke to had pretty detailed plans of the pipe layout (as you would hope for UU!). Is anyone aware of any way of getting to see these plans?

Sponsored Links
yes but you will need mdpe inserts not shown, for both ends.

i dug my own trench, fitted my own stopcock and thames water/three valleys connected fitted a new stopcock in the road and connected my end yo thiers. they charged me the sum of £0.00. :D

i left the trench open so they could see how deep and where the pipe was run. total cost of about £50 in materials.
So why did they quote me 500 squid?
Do I look like I got money falling out of my ass-hole?

nah, money can't get out cos your head's stuck up there :evil:

Thanks doitall.

Do I need pipe inserts if using a copper pipe on the internal side of the the coupler? I always thought copper could be put straight into pushfit fittings, which I think is essentially what this is.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back