Lead pipes

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Fairly sure our new house has lead pipes for the water to the house.

Is really neccesary to replace thse, even if they are not leaking?

Sponsored Links
Lead is known to affect the development of children under the age of 10.

It is not compulsory to get the lead out, just a very good idea.

But even if you do replace them, the incoming main is still probably lead!!

Or ASBESTOS mains in some areas!!

If you live in a soft water area it is more of a problem!!

Hard water causes a coating of lime scale on the interior of the pipes which prevents contact with lead !!

Contact your water supplier wo will know the Plumbosolvency in your area. If they don't they'll come and test it. If it's above EEC guidelines, you'll probably get a free eplacement, but only UP TO your boundary, as long as you make all the internal pipework comply with latest standards.

Sponsored Links
I don't know if this is right (it sounded feasible to me when told to me).
When you pull/flush the loo in the morning, by the time you have got downstairs and filled your kettle for tea, the standing water in the lead supply pipe will have flushed through.

The problem I thought, was if the water stagnates in lead over long periods of time. Happy to be better informed, but most of the older period houses have lead supply pipes and I'm not aware of mass lead poisoning in this country :evil:

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back