Lead soakers for roof gable copings

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
I have to have the copings on my stone gable end taken off and rebedded, as they let water in. A bloke down the road had it done and I saw that they went to some trouble to put lead soakers underneath (cemented over in pic), but I didn't take much notice at the time. Picture of the finished job and my diagram of supposed construction attached. I would like to be sure that whoever does it, does it OK, but searching online so far has not shown me what OK is! Varying opinions on a lead cover under the coping, etc. Any ideas here?

Sponsored Links
I doubt that your "supposed construction" diagram is accurate.

Depending on what kind of cover (tile or slate etc.) you have on your roof then soakers & cover flashing are often used - or raking abutment flashing.
Flashings should not be "cemented over".

Why not google pics & diagrams of roof flashings?
FWIW: your "stone gable end" is a gable parapet.

Last edited:
Tried Googling and nothing informative came up by way of diagrams.

calderlead.co.uk - parapets
leadsheet.co.uk - parapets

Sponsored Links
I don't know what all the mucks about.. covering something up? or not maybe
indeed, normally with such a short drop you would have soakers under the slates covered with a cover flashing that would lap under the coping stones closing the cavity

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back