Lead to Copper Compression leaking

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
I have cut a section of lead pipe out to put in a new stop cock to rejoin I took the sectionto the plumbers who told me I needed 6lb 15mm cooper to lead connection (the package doesn't say lead loc is that the better make) one side seems to be okay but I have changed the side 3'x and there is still leakage it appears to be coming from both the lead connection side and the copper side HELP!! what can I do to stop this leak

Sponsored Links
first thing is to clean the lead and remove any indentations.

Try the "Philmac" universal connector

click

Thanks 4 replies

tried PTFE tape

Do it all do U know if this connector is widely available in plumbers merchants I have U tried it thanks

Sponsored Links
Jewsons and must merchants should have them.

Yes have used them loads of times, including an old rusty steel pipe

Plumbcenter do Talbot similar things, they grip/seal anything.

If you have a leak at the copper end as well then that would suggest that you have overtightened the fitting.
Get another lead loc connector and cut a bit more off the lead pipe so you have a decent end to work with before starting again.[assuming the end you are working with is all chewed up]
Disassemble the new fitting and re-assemble on the lead pipe in the correct order as you go. That way you can make sure the the pipe goes all the way into the fitting.

Further to last
Those philmac fittings are the biz but if you dont have a decent bit of pipe to work with you are still likely to get problems

Thanks 4 all the replies the leak is very minute so haven't tried to remedy it yet will try one of the alternative fittings that have been mentioned

Will keep U posted Thanks

Thanks 4 all the replies the leak is very minute so haven't got around 2 trying to fix it will try one of the alternative fixings mentioned

Will keep U posted THANKS!

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back