Leak around downpipe collar

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi, I have a leak at ground level around the cement? collar of a downpipe.Any suggestions of how to fix it it all please.Many thanks.

Attachments

• IMG-20230215-WA0005.jpeg
    IMG-20230215-WA0005.jpeg
    242.7 KB · Views: 53
  • IMG-20230215-WA0003.jpeg
    IMG-20230215-WA0003.jpeg
    267.8 KB · Views: 48
  • IMG-20230215-WA0001.jpeg
    IMG-20230215-WA0001.jpeg
    329.9 KB · Views: 52
Sponsored Links
Possibly it's blocked which is why you can see it leaking. Definitely cracked so if you want to replace it you have to disconnect and dig it out replacing with plastic version

Last edited:
Sponsored Links
Thank you everyone for the replies. I think Im going to try denso wrap.

Its definitely not blocked.

Yes something like that. I thought the soil pipe was plastic actually so its suprised me that people think the collar is asbestos based cement .

I was initially wondering whether to use a polyurethane sealant and then to re cement over the sealant.

Yes something like that. I thought the soil pipe was plastic actually so its suprised me that people think the collar is asbestos based cement .
I'm 99% confident that's Asbestos cement, (the unique shape of the collar is a giveaway for us seasoned Folk.)

Denso is your best option, it'll flex with the pipe, if there's any slight movement. (Which is what I suspect has caused it to crack in the first place.)

Thank you Hugh. I do seem to have a weird underground drainage system with that pipe in the ground going to a manhole at an angle and then to another manhole at another angle.
Seems strange to me as there is a manhole straight ahead of pipe so could go straight ahead without the angle?

I will Denso wrap it for now I think and start digging around the ground pipes when its a bit drier. The manhole this pipe is going to has a brick wall partially built over it so can lift it to check anything.Did start to think maybe Loofah has a point and its partially blocked but I cant rod it.However the recent damp on photo was from me running the bathroom sink taps so would have thought that have just run straight through ok?

I am not sure why the brick wall has been built over the manhole, its butts up to next door,s extension but only by about 3 feet long.

Lots to ponder over.Thank you.

Might be prudent in future, if you replace the rest bend and pipework going into the ground, to fit a rodding access at the base of the stack, just above ground level as the chamber sounds somewhat awkward to get at...

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back