Leak at the back of toilet

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Attended a job for a leak. Managed to find where the leak is coming from. It’s coming from behind the toilet.
Can someone advise me what the part is
for someone who is new in the trade of plumbing I would appreciate if some one could advise me the best way to go about repairing the issue. It happens everytime I you flush

Attachments

• 8FC5DDD3-AF55-4C92-8C8F-8A93E28FDCCF.jpeg
    8FC5DDD3-AF55-4C92-8C8F-8A93E28FDCCF.jpeg
    278.1 KB · Views: 92
  • 9A2CF5D6-EE55-4D14-B36C-BF1D117F357C.jpeg
    9A2CF5D6-EE55-4D14-B36C-BF1D117F357C.jpeg
    264.7 KB · Views: 87
  • 6CCAACE5-CEC5-4D13-87E8-1A7FB91282F4.jpeg
    6CCAACE5-CEC5-4D13-87E8-1A7FB91282F4.jpeg
    163.4 KB · Views: 83
  • 3F3D5C00-8F6F-414B-8897-25C63E5F8451.jpeg
    3F3D5C00-8F6F-414B-8897-25C63E5F8451.jpeg
    241.3 KB · Views: 87
  • DE947343-25B6-4538-91A4-B5DE42EB7DDD.jpeg
    DE947343-25B6-4538-91A4-B5DE42EB7DDD.jpeg
    249.7 KB · Views: 92
Sponsored Links
It MAY be a case of undoing the large nut under the cistern, letting the backing washer drop out then easing the rubber cone washer out, cleaning both mating surfaces and reassembling. Note the word may!

As you will be the last person to touch anything there I would take a good look at that flexi whilst you are about it.

It MAY be a case of undoing the large nut under the cistern, letting the backing washer drop out then easing the rubber cone washer out, cleaning both mating surfaces and reassembling. Note the word may!

As you will be the last person to touch anything there I would take a good look at that flexi whilst you are about it.
If you undo the nut underneath can you just pull the cistern out and replace ? Or is that more of a headache

If you undo the nut underneath can you just pull the cistern out and replace ? Or is that more of a headache
Not sure why you want to remove the cistern and yes more headache but yes you can pull it out IF all pipes and screws are undone/ removed.

Sponsored Links
Not sure why you want to remove the cistern and yes more headache but yes you can pull it out IF all pipes and screws are undone/ removed.
I thought to change the washer you have to pull the cistern out for better access

I thought to change the washer you have to pull the cistern out for better access
Sometimes but not always, it depends on how much slack in the pipe you have which looking again at the photo isnt much.
Did you note my comment about the flexi.

Wouldn't a smear of Plumbers Mait, on the mating surfaces help ensure it seals?

Take some pictures further back so that we can see the whole toilet from the front and side.

Andy.

Undo the nut, clean up the surfaces, roll a sausage ring of plumbers mate so it sits around the top above the threads and onto the top thread, do nut back up so it displaces the excess plumbers mate, peel off excess and put back in tub, job done.

Undo the nut, clean up the surfaces, roll a sausage ring of plumbers mate so it sits around the top above the threads and onto the top thread, do nut back up so it displaces the excess plumbers mate, peel off excess and put back in tub, job done.
The threads do not provide the seal.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back