Leak at the back of toilet

These are the photos I have. I could get to the nut I tried tightening it when I was there but it turned a bit and still leaked. If I was to undo that nut which is connected to the white pipe applying plumbers mate would help seal it ?

Attachments

• 390277FA-FA97-4FDE-9272-90CDFE186DAA.jpeg
    390277FA-FA97-4FDE-9272-90CDFE186DAA.jpeg
    278.1 KB · Views: 49
  • 6F650999-6F47-4E6A-A7A9-E9B8FD3D87D3.jpeg
    6F650999-6F47-4E6A-A7A9-E9B8FD3D87D3.jpeg
    283.7 KB · Views: 52
  • 19F4EB71-14DF-4386-A965-D76D9BCB3750.jpeg
    19F4EB71-14DF-4386-A965-D76D9BCB3750.jpeg
    249.7 KB · Views: 57
  • DF53A1BA-F289-485C-8E37-B4BD068260D6.jpeg
    DF53A1BA-F289-485C-8E37-B4BD068260D6.jpeg
    264.7 KB · Views: 46
Sponsored Links
All depends where it's leaking from. If it's leaking from below the lower compression nut at the join with the pipe then it'll probably be the seal. if it's leaking from higher up then it could also be at the nut holding the flush valve in.

I'd honestly have it all out and strip it down, clean and re-fit. Only way to be sure and avoid call backs. You may need to snap, drill those non brass / non S/S screws out.

Watch the flushpipe cone (the bit the flush pipe fits into to connect into the pan), make sure it is not damaged/fins compressed and have everything clean and dry before re-fitting.

All depends where it's leaking from. If it's leaking from below the lower compression nut at the join with the pipe then it'll probably be the seal. if it's leaking from higher up then it could also be at the nut holding the flush valve in.

I'd honestly have it all out and strip it down, clean and re-fit. Only way to be sure and avoid call backs. You may need to snap, drill those non brass / non S/S screws out.

Watch the flushpipe cone (the bit the flush pipe fits into to connect into the pan), make sure it is not damaged/fins compressed and have everything clean and dry before re-fitting.
Think that’s the best option. Just get the cistern out and replace everything that’s connected underneath basically.
Which screws are you referring to ?

Sponsored Links

It don’t look like it leaks from the nut that hold the valve in place. I mean then it would leak I guess from the top slightly. But when I flush it leaks from the join of the pipe and falls alone the pipe and onto the floor.

It don’t look like it leaks from the nut that hold the valve in place. I mean then it would leak I guess from the top slightly. But when I flush it leaks from the join of the pipe and falls alone the pipe and onto the floor.
I can’t add the video but you can see from here slightly on the right hand side of the pipe

Attachments

• 2FAD729D-E1DA-48E6-B10C-CC2EC325D971.jpeg
    2FAD729D-E1DA-48E6-B10C-CC2EC325D971.jpeg
    152.9 KB · Views: 37
These are the photos I have. I could get to the nut I tried tightening it when I was there but it turned a bit and still leaked. If I was to undo that nut which is connected to the white pipe applying plumbers mate would help seal it ?
Have you loosened the wc pan or is it supposed to be on the pistè?

Undo the nut on the flush pipe, Pull down the flush pipe slightly and wrap severeral turns of ptfe covering the rubber washer then retighten the nut and test.

Andy

Undo the nut on the flush pipe, Pull down the flush pipe slightly and wrap severeral turns of ptfe covering the rubber washer then retighten the nut and test.

Andy
Undo the nut that’s holding flush valve in place or the other nut underneath that

ok... there is obvious staining from the bottom of the nut, and from above the nut. That suggests that it might be leaking from the flush valve securing nut as well.

Honestly ... I wouldn't farf about, get the cistern out, take the flush pipe off, loosen the flush valve nut and take the flush valve out. Clean everything, threads, seals, inside of the cistern, outside of the cistern, the flush pipe compression nut and seals. Check all the seals for damage over compression and make sure everything is squeaky clean and re-assemble. Again, take note of the flush cone and make sure it is still quite soft and the fins are pliable, clean and dry inside the flush pipe hole in the pan before re-fitting.

The screws holding the cistern to the wall, they are really badly rusted.

Reactions: CBW
Undo the nut that’s holding flush valve in place or the other nut underneath that

The nut holding the flush valve will only need a nip to retighten, Then remove the nut securing the flush pipe and do what I suggest.

Andy

So an update on this. I managed to get to the nut on the flush pipe and add ptfe and some plumbers mate and tried but no luck. Still leaking by the looks of it from the flush valve nut. It’s a corner toilet in a really small bathroom can’t get any access to that nut.

Want to take the cistern full out but the issue is those rusted nuts. Any one have any techniques on removing that cistern?
Literally tried getting the screws out but they are badly rusted

Attachments

• FCF48A11-7510-4D65-B1DD-B59653D9048D.jpeg
    FCF48A11-7510-4D65-B1DD-B59653D9048D.jpeg
    256.6 KB · Views: 32
  • BE06ABA7-A986-4720-978C-0CCD89B3FED8.jpeg
    BE06ABA7-A986-4720-978C-0CCD89B3FED8.jpeg
    367.2 KB · Views: 34
  • 9F83865E-B99F-4EA0-ABBF-C460B22BE15B.jpeg
    9F83865E-B99F-4EA0-ABBF-C460B22BE15B.jpeg
    330.7 KB · Views: 33
Can’t see any rusted nuts, the rusted screws might only come out when the cistern is off, which if you gently pull forward should work. Failing that, drill them out.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back