Leak from bath waste

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
We've had to re position a cast bath and we disturbed the waste and overflow pipe, it is still leaking from our first attempt from the area marked on the photo, I'd
20200131_114639.jpg
put a load of silicone between the joint. I went to our local building merchant hoping to get some kind of thick rubber washer but they didn't have anything.
Any ideas please?

Sponsored Links
There should be a rubber washer above the black Nut. Try a good plumbers merchants.

Been dripping for a while by the looks above the Nut or is that the gunk you used?
(Looks old in the photo).

No we had the waste taken out so it is all new silicone, its all dry apart from the marked area, i was going to put one of the big white hard plastic washers on but it juts out a bit too much

Sponsored Links
If you can’t get one specific for a waste, I think syphon rubbers are the same size, could always try one of those.

Don't forget to remove the silicone and start again with clean dry surfaces.

You could cast a silicone washer in situ by
1) slackening off the black nut to leave a ~3mm gap above the nut,
2) cleaning out the gap then using an oily rag to apply a thin smear of oil, as a mould release, to all surfaces bordering the gap,
3) filling the gap with silicone,
4) waiting for the silicone to set fully throughout.

I've had success with this method. It allows the nut to be re-tightened as necessary for a good seal.

Thanks for all your replies, I'm back at work tomorrow to have another go, I've got another week before the holiday cottage is back on line:eek::eek:

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back