Leak from bath! water dipping to kitchen, how to remove bath side wood?

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Its noticed in the morning that water is dipping from kitchen ceiling.
clip_image001.png
after checks realised leak is from old bath (not metal bath) just above the kitchen. Physical inspection on bath doesn't show any cracks, now need to remove side wood to see any leak :(. I blocked use of that bath and no more water leak, that suggests either leak is from waste pipe area or water might be leaking from sealant around bath white using it.

I removed 4 screws from side wood but still unable to remove that side wood panel. I know recent installations have plastic side panel which easily bend and remove. But this is 15+ years old big bath with proper wooden side panel.
WhatsApp Image 2022-05-03 at 8.10.30 PM.jpeg
WhatsApp Image 2022-05-03 at 8.10.50 PM.jpeg
WhatsApp Image 2022-05-03 at 8.11.04 PM.jpeg

How do I remove this side wood..? Tried to prime out but that moves bath side as well. Don't want to break anything.. Please see photos . Please help. thanks

Sponsored Links
are you saying i need to remove silicone here both ends or the narrow tiles ? or both?
see red lines in t
WhatsApp Image 2022-05-03 at 8.10.30 PM.jpeg
WhatsApp Image 2022-05-03 at 8.11.04 PM.jpeg
he photos

Removing silicone get the wood panel straight away ? or need move/prime thwm to top or bottom or sides..?

Sponsored Links
You could do, but they might be more suited to the edges of the bath and tiles. Use a utility/Stanley knife.

Managed to remove side panel , unfortunately tiles on the right also came off.
leak is from the overflow pipe that joins back to the main outlet pipe. overflow plastic pipe more or less disintegrated and water from main exit valve leaks out though that .
See photos..

Now for solution what sort of pipe needed to fix these 20 years old installation. Then i haven'y got access to other end of overflow waste pipe. So how will I fix if I managed to get new pipe without removing the bath altogether?Other option is to completely block off overflow pipe..?
WhatsApp Image 2022-05-03 at 9.53.24 PM.jpeg
WhatsApp Image 2022-05-03 at 9.53.47 PM.jpeg

I have never seen a plastic overflow pipe disintegrated like that ,do you have a rodent problem ??
Is the wall behind the taps brick ,or plasterboarded stud ? If the latter you could cut an access panel from the room behind.
Or ,is there enough play/ stretch on the damaged pipe to cut off the damage ,and still reach to reconnect ?

Cut the corrugated pipe back to a good bit of the pipe, there should be enough to get it back onto the overflow spigot on the waste. Warm it up in a cup of hot water and it should soften enough to go over the spigot without splitting

And add a small amount of silicone around the spigot and push the cut back overflow pipe on. That when cured will hold the pipe on.

I have never seen a plastic overflow pipe disintegrated like that ,do you have a rodent problem ??
Is the wall behind the taps brick ,or plasterboarded stud ? If the latter you could cut an access panel from the room behind.
Or ,is there enough play/ stretch on the damaged pipe to cut off the damage ,and still reach to reconnect ?

Yes I do have...But when I touched the pipe it is coming off easily. I suppose in this case its aged pipe dealing with hot water.. I will check this again:unsure:

It is wall and not much space to put a new overflow pipe with out moving bath.

Cut the corrugated pipe back to a good bit of the pipe, there should be enough to get it back onto the overflow spigot on the waste. Warm it up in a cup of hot water and it should soften enough to go over the spigot without splitting

Need to see if both are similar size. On first look corrugated pipe seems to be bigger and fitting directly to valve at bath may not work. Will check again and see. thanks

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back