Leak from bath! water dipping to kitchen, how to remove bath side wood?

It is possible to fit a new pop-up bath waste, but it would be chrome.

Andy

Bath main waste pipe is not the problem, since I can't access other end of overflow pipe (without moving bath) I will not be able to completely replace it with a new overflow pipe.

Sponsored Links
Need to see if both are similar size. On first look corrugated pipe seems to be bigger and fitting directly to valve at bath may not work. Will check again and see. thanks
Well that's where it's meant to go, could it be mismatched, always possible but it should fit. Weird bath design though, usually with mid mounted taps the waste hole would be in line, in the middle, not down at one end.

Well that's where it's meant to go, could it be mismatched, always possible. Weird bath design, usually with mid mounted taps the waste hole would be in the middle, not down at one end.

What I meant is corrugated pipe end is made as a normal pipe to join it to the waste pipe end as you can see in the photo. In that case reusing this pipe may not work. 222.png

Sponsored Links
It just pushes on. Cut off the broken bit and push the new end on with a bit of silicone to help it stay on.

Yep, I know what you mean, it has a plain end. BTW the one in your pic would usually have a nut that would nip that onto the spigot with the seal in it. The pipe you have just pushes on and is held by a ridge in the waste spigot.

As suggested, a little silicone around the spigot to make it watertight, push it on then use a jubilee clip to grip it. Don't tighten it right up or you'll crack the spigot, just enough to hold and grip it. Leave it 15mins before any water goes through it and it should be fine.

How was that bath plumbed in in the first place? The plumber must have had very long arms...
or would have the taps and copper pipes been connected up before the bath put in place?

How was that bath plumbed in in the first place? The plumber must have had very long arms...
or would have the taps and copper pipes been connected up before the bath put in place?
The bath would be dressed ,then put in position.
A new overflow combo can be fitted whilst the bath is in situ ,but it's very awkward to do ,takes two people ,and a bit of trial and error.

When I fitted our bath I made sure to leave good access for taps, waste and pipes, seems others do the exact opposite and end up with what the OP is dealing with.

Thats the reason the waste is where it is. Usually baths with centre taps like that are piped up in long flexi's or plastic and then pushed into final position. The waste is where it is to make it easy to fit the waste once the bath is in place.

You could possibly get the overflow replaced using a long wire/string but it would be fiddly, lot of bother though. Much easier to just trim and re-fit IMO.

i had a crude fix in place now. Its just putting corrugated pipe back and apply some sealing. Difficulty was pipe was so weak it was disintegrating when tried to put it back to the joint, in that process it became too short. Somehow managed to put it in right place now:unsure:. Used pipe weld cement and GRIPTITE, does look ugly and not sure how long. i will test with water after couple of days. I am not feeling confident to fit that cover panel back.
WhatsApp Image 2022-05-04 at 11.27.09 PM.jpeg
WhatsApp Image 2022-05-04 at 11.27.28 PM.jpeg

thanks foe all your help.

Have to agree, it'll either last for ever or it'll fail pretty quickly, water has a habit of working it's way through.

If you used the cement when attaching the pipe then I'm afraid to say that will have caused the breakdown, cement melts a layer of the plastic, that stuff is too thin to use cement on it.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back