Leak from bathroom sink

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hey guys,

Just fitted my bathroom sink and have run into a problem with a leak coming from underneath the basin.
I sealed the flange with plumbers putty, this did not seem to work so after a few attempts I opted for a silicone sealant and low and behold the same problem occurred! The leak is coming from the underside of the sink where the trap is screwed on to the flange, if that is the right terminology?

Further investigation has shown me that there are 2, what appear to be, overflow holes in the flange. 1 facing the wall the other directly opposite and it is the one opposite that water is going out and giving me my leak!!

Any ideas on what I'm to do?

Hope my use or words is not too disheartening ;)

Sponsored Links
An easy way to fix it is to use a "basin mate" waste sealing kit. Available from toolstation and plumbers merchants (sometimes).

Thanks for the reply EH.

I have taken 2 photos of what I'm working with to see if that helps any.

The first is the screw on bit that goes on the bottom(underside) of the flange and the second is a view into the flange at one of the holes, the other directly opposite.

I assume that these are to take the overflow out to the waste and the screw on bit at the bottom obviously needs sealed in some way as from what I can see the water heads out the overflow in the sink into these holes and can only then lie on top the screw bit thus leaking but I'm just not sure what to do or how the overflow works!!!

Hope this helps.

l_d850eeff64be495282c7ccef57a98634.jpg

l_3a1c1ea0a9152caebe0b822db5013c09.jpg
[/img]

The holes are normal, as is the leak.
More silicone or a BasinMate.
Leakywaste1CR.gif

Sponsored Links
Thanks Chris, never used basinmate before so do I seal the screw on bit? The bit that connects to the underside of the sink, as I can't help but feel that I am missing an O ring of some sort?

Where else do I seal?

Thanks again.

Hope you don't mind guys but just wanted to bump this up again as this matter is becoming quite frustrating for me.

Sorry for any inconvenience.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back