Leak from chrome-plated towel rail joint

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Fortunately rare - or so it seems from comments here, but I came across a failed joint yesterday. HTR supplied by 'well-known bath-seller' some years back. Apparently perfect condition but drip from T joint linking bottom rail to vertical tube. Fooled me initially because the slow drip fell straight onto the valve tail immediately below, so it looked like a different problem.

Are failures in HTRs actually quite common?

Is it likely that internal corrosion caused it? (System actually very clean and airtight but this particular HTR IS at the high point of the system, where air (if any) would tend to collect and there WAS evidence of the system being allowed to run with low pressure.......

What's the supplier's attitude going to be? (one previous thread here discussed excuses such as 'too much inhibitor' and 'agressive water', so maybe they're still playing silly games along those lines....)

Sponsored Links
Are failures in HTRs actually quite common?
I think they are, probably because there are so many joints. Quality of brazing/welding is often suspect, though the white coated ones sometimes get "swellings" where there's a pinhole leak.
If it's bathstore dot com I wouldn't expect them to be too helpful after the guarantee has expired.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back