Leak from under the kitchen floor / behind the skirting.

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi,

When the mains in on, there is a gush of water that appears to well from under the tiles a few inches to the left on a radiator. When the mains is off the leak stops. I have booked a leak detector to come around (for 400 pounds), but recently noticed that they detect leaks, but do not fix them. If the leak is in the pipes that connect the radiators to the boiler (it's a combie boiler), would you expect that leak to gush when the mains is on? Also is 400 quid reasonable for leak detection? Am I better off assuming that the leak must be close to where it is coming out of the floor, and just get a builder or plumber to pull up the tile and have a look? The kitchen floor is tile over concrete.

As a point of interest I will add that the combie boiler is a fairly new installation. Prior to this I had a normal boiler with hot water tank. Is it possible that the installation of the combie boiler has caused the radiator pipes to be put under mains pressure and possible caused this leak?

Sponsored Links
Check the boiler pressure gauge.....if the heating system is leaking the pressure will quickly fall to zero and then the leak would stop until you repressurised the system via the filling loop.
Your leak is coming from elsewhere, I’d wager.
John :)

Do not employ a leak detection company.
A decent plumber will find a leak and fix it...and won't charge 400 for finding it!
Only when they are practically invisible do you need the kit that leak detection firms use, and they are better used by plumbers.

Trust me on this, I've a number of stories.

Thanks John. I didn't think of that, but I can see that is really good advice. I will check in the morning (We've moved to the sister in laws house whilst the water is off).

Sponsored Links
Dilalio - I will cancel the appointment first thing. Thanks for the tip.

If the water only appears when mains stopcock is open it's obviously on the mains . Call in a plumber.

Hi,

When the mains in on, there is a gush of water that appears to well from under the tiles a few inches to the left on a radiator. When the mains is off the leak stops. I have booked a leak detector to come around (for 400 pounds), but recently noticed that they detect leaks, but do not fix them. If the leak is in the pipes that connect the radiators to the boiler (it's a combie boiler),

Ive just had quotes for £474 and another for over £600, your £400 is better than the quotes ive had

It's going to mean access to visually inspect it and floors walls will be disturbed and possibly the skirting board off.
Inform your insurers.

It will be easy to find and fix.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back