Possible leaking hot water pipe under floors

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
A boiler issue has been diagnosed as due to a leaking hot water pipe somewhere in my basement flat (boiler switches to hot water demand when no taps or washing machine or dishwasher are on & therefore the combi boiler operates on heating the water rather than the radiators).

All my pipes are either under tiled or wooden floors or behind tiles & plasterboard, and as I am a basement flat I have no one under me to tell me where the leak could be.

Any advice beyond ripping up floors or digging into walls until I find the leak (assuming that is the problem)?

The only sign of where the leak could be is condensation (warm water) seeping from the top rim of my bath - which is completely boxed in and tiled (tiled from the top of the bath up the walls on all 3 sides of the bath & the front panel is also tiled).

Sponsored Links
The only sign of where the leak could be is condensation (warm water) seeping from the top rim of my bath - which is completely boxed in and tiled (tiled from the top of the bath up the walls on all 3 sides of the bath & the front panel is also tiled).
That's where I would start looking then.

Can you remove the bath panel and inspect underneath?

How about getting an infra red thermometer (about £30) and trying to locate the hottest area of the wall where the water would be leaking from ?

Sponsored Links
would have thought if there is enough flow to fire the boiler then somthing should be gushing somwhere???

Cheers all - the panel under the bath is completely boxed in & tiled, but I will try & remove that without breaking too many tiles ......

Its most likely the connection to the hot tap!

You may be able to feel the tap warm or the bath if you leave it for an hour without use and then go and feel it just with your hands.

You might also be able to hear it hissing if you put your ear on the bath near the taps.

I have an ultrasonic sound meter to assist in finding gas and mains water leaks!

Tony

would have thought if there is enough flow to fire the boiler then somthing should be gushing somwhere???

Not if it's an Isar, only takes a few constant drips to lock these into constant DHW mode the way they are designed :rolleyes:

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back