Leak in hot water system

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hello

I've had ongoing problems with my boiler. The basics are that it constantly heats hot water despite there being no hot tap or other hot water source open. This suggests apparently according to the boiler company that there is a leak in the hot water system, however I can't find one. My house has concret floors so the water pipes are above ground. There is no obvious leak, and I can see all the pipes in the loft of the extension however I've not had any damp problems.

I have to turn the water off at the boiler at the minute to allow the heating to work. If I turn it on I can hear water gushing into the house constantly as the water comes into the house by the sink in the kitchen. Any ideas are most welcome!

Sponsored Links
Went to a job a few months back which had similar issue. Boiler seemed fine, no hot taps running but boiler would fire up constantly for hot water.

I checked all visible pipework, no leaks, no damp patches etc. 7 Trent had even randomly turned up at the house saying the water usage at the property was very high and they wanted to check for leaks in house, but said the homeowner would have to pay. He refused, so severn trent left.

Water had to be leaking somewhere on the system. So i decided to ask occupiers to turn of everything off, TVs, Radios, computers, any heaters, gas fires, taps anything that would make any noise. Then asked for complete silence in the house. I then walked around the property listening carefully for running water in the pipework. Could hear a very faint sound which seemed to be coming near the boiler, in the kitchen, around the floor area. Put my ear to the floor and the sound seemed very slightly louder.

I asked if they had any work done and they said they had the kitchen tiled 6 months earlier by some polish dude who had since left the UK. They also said he leveled the floor using plywood before tiling. I decided to lift up a couple of tiles where the noise seeemd to be clearest and lo and behold, up comes the tiles, and the ply board is wet, and the sound of running water is louder. Lift up the ply board and up with it comes a screw and water starts squirting out. The guy who laid the plyboard had gone into the hot water pipe with a screw under the kitchen floor. Had to dig around the pipe, drain, removed damaged sectiona nd fit new section. Boiler and hot water is no longer an issue.

Thanks for your reply, so I'm guessing they may be right and I do have a leak! I've tried turning everything off but I can't really hear anything. In the kitchen the sound of the water coming into the house is quite loud so if there was something else I don't think I would hear it. I did turn the water off at the stop clock under the sink, assuming that for a few seconds water would still be in the system but the only noise I could hear was from the toilet system!

In terms of work done I haven't had any that could of affected it really. The kitchen was done but three years ago now, we had a wooden floor installed again around 3 years ago and the only thing close to the issue is we had a new washer, my husband attached it up and broke the valve in the process, I replaced this and when I've checked under and around the sink there appears to be no issues. Again I've gone back through the bathroom pipes and can't detect a leak. We did have one when the issue first arose with the boiler, this was below the bath however we had the bath and he replaced the problem with some flexible piping! So at the moment I am stumped!

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back