? Leak in oil burner chimney pipe

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
HI Guys,
There seems to be a leak coming from the concrete surround that the oil burner chimney pipe goes up through - see photos.
We had a plumber out today who said its nothing serious...probably just rain water coming down the chimney?? He didn't do anything, suggested if we wanted to get a builder, but it wasn't anything to worry about. My husband put containers down to see how much water is coming down, its enough in my opinion!
Any suggestions as what could be wrong or what/who we need to do/get??

1.jpg
2.jpg
3.jpg
4.jpg
5.jpg
6.jpg

Sponsored Links
When it was installed, was the chimney lined? I suspect not, as the water is rusty. It could also be condensation from the flue gases.
What cowl is fitted to the chimney? If only a 'chinaman's hat', Then a more sophisticated cowl may help. It is also worth looking at the seal where the cowl is fitted to the chimney. A roofer may be a better start for an opinion.

Do you have a picture from outside where the flue exits the building ?
BTW, it looks to me as if your flue has been installed upside down so any moisure inside would run out of the joint..the sockets should face upwards.

Thank you Oilhead, not sure, we bought the house 4 years ago but I strongly suspect the chimney is not lined as following a chimney fire in the living room we had to get it lined with flexible coil. Cowl is a 'china man hat'.
lostinthelight - i'll get a photo during the day and post it.
We had a plumber out who pointed out the flue was upside down! - he also added that we should try a roofer....the roofer then said we should try a plumber! So we're trying to get hold of a local builder who would have both trades to help us out....still waiting on him arriving!

It appears to leak a lot more when we have the heat on, dirty brown water ... so would that indicate that its not rain causing it??

Sponsored Links
So does the vitrius fit into a flexible liner ? can you draw a diagram of the flue system the take a picture of it and upload?

Hi Guys, sorry for delay, these are some outside photos.

If its just to replace/install the flexible flue liner, what would the rough price be?

I'm waiting on either the plumber or roofer to come back to me, I hate chasing people.

My next step is to go to the builders merchant and see if they have any other tradesmen they would recommend.

Thanks,
Gemma

7.jpg
8.jpg

Lostinthelight -
clear.png

"So does the vitrius fit into a flexible liner ? can you draw a diagram of the flue system the take a picture of it and upload?"

We don't think there is a liner there -, so the plumber mentioned future proofing with a flexible liner that would fit a combi boiler when our Firebird needs to be replaced in 10 years time??.
talked about making some kind of alteration to make it fit to current boiler?

But then again, if he doesn't come back to me i'll have to look elsewhere.

Cheers,
Gemma

Woodburners are more my line rather than oil but that looks an awful high level flue not to be insulated so I would wait for someone with more experience of them to reply.

Last edited:
your "chimney and flue" look to be fabricated for a single appliance.
you have the correct terminal for a SS flexi flue.
the male end of the flue fitting points up - so, from what i can make out, your hard flue is correctly installed.
is the enamelled flue double walled?
remove the inspection cover on the flue fitting an check inside for condensate dripping down.check inside the appliance as well.
typicly, its the cooling of the fumes causing the condensate you have.
if you have to, removing the enamelled flue pipe and the soffit it goes into is no big deal.

an oil qualified plumber or HETAS could check the soundness of the stack terminal - flag caps instead of flaunching are always liable to leak. they could also use a smoke bomb to test the soundness of the liner.

if condensate is leaking so are fumes so its best to find an correct the cause.

Last edited:
thanks for that tip - i didnt know about the litmus paper. what happens to it?

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back