Leak in oil-tank

Sponsored Links
ALL tanks require this, not just bunded ones
Hi,

This is a summary of what finally happened.
1) A new, smaller tank, is being installed today....as part of a plan to move over to gas in the next year.
2) We needed to stop the leak in the old tank, ASAP. What worked was a flat 3" diameter plastic disk, pushed onto the leak after it had been heavily covered in Gorilla Grab Adhesive (see https://www.amazon.co.uk/gp/product/B01CIQILY0/ref=ppx_yo_dt_b_asin_title_o02_s00?ie=UTF8&psc=1). This was temporarily held in place by some heavy-duty sticky tape. In spite of the warning about this stuff not liking oil, it has totally sealed the tank. There has not been a single drop of oil leaking. After 2 days we had 1000 litres removed, leaving around 600 litres. The seal has worked for 6 days! The tank replacement guy said he had never seen a seal to work like this.
Personally I shall be glad to see the tank gone.

In planning to install the new tank, it turns out that our neighbour had an extension which puts him within the safe distance from our tank and also built a flammable fence about 80 cms from our tank. There will probably be a discussion about this...I am not planning a complete reinstallation of a temporary tank, just a replacement of the old.
Thanks to everyone who provided useful advice...especially awareness of the risks...that we were undertaking without really knowing them.

Yes, you can get wall mounted boilers of almost any size. It would be better to do a proper heat loss calculation to discover what size boiler you actually need though - many existing boilers are oversized for the homes they heat
Hi Andrew,

Well, the current problem solved...new temporary oil tank installed. Today we had a meeting with our installer who was very keen on a make of boiler that I had never heard of....Navian. At first look, they do sound impressive and they do offer wall-mounted units of the correct specification, but I wondered if you had an opinion on this before more money starts floating out of the door.

George

Sponsored Links
Hi Andrew,

Well, the current problem solved...new temporary oil tank installed. Today we had a meeting with our installer who was very keen on a make of boiler that I had never heard of....Navian. At first look, they do sound impressive and they do offer wall-mounted units of the correct specification, but I wondered if you had an opinion on this before more money starts floating out of the door.

George
I wasn't aware that Navien did wall mounted oil boilers. Must prod my rep for information! Navien are my first choice for oil fired combi boilers and are far more advanced than anything else currently available. I tend to prefer Hounsfield for heat-only oil boilers but if you think you can make use of the extra tech that Navien offers then they're a great option

I have never seen a Navien wall mouted oil boiler, what model is it ?

I wasn't aware that Navien did wall mounted oil boilers. Must prod my rep for information! Navien are my first choice for oil fired combi boilers and are far more advanced than anything else currently available. I tend to prefer Hounsfield for heat-only oil boilers but if you think you can make use of the extra tech that Navien offers then they're a great option
Hi,
Thanks for that ...as I had not heard of Navien I was a bit suspicious...also Which have not done a test on them yet. I am only looking for gas-fired, but I did find a Navien boiler with a Stirling Heat Pump! See https://navienuk.com/products/navien-condensing-ncb/for a wall-mounted..also https://navienuk.com/products/hybrigen-se/ for interest.
Thanks again for the help

George

Forget Which, they are paid by advertising, they are not an impartial tester of anything
OK...one last question, regarding the installation of gas pipe. I have a quote from Cadent for around £1700 to install a pipe. This includes an allowance from the gov. of around £1546, which seems pretty good. However, my plumber tells me that I can use gas suppliers from anywhere to provide an installation quote..even an electricity company. The way things are subcontracted out nowadays I am not too surprised, but I can't find anything online at all for this. Does hi suggestion tie win with your experience?

Oh sorry, assumed you were sticking with the oil.

As Ian says, if you go by the Which? reports you'll end up with a very skewed idea of what's good and what's not. They take no account of good engineering or boiler design, and a considerable weighting is given to customers' subjective opinion rather than the technical benefits or drawbacks of each product.

The Navien gas boiler looks decent, personally I prefer Intergas (who you also won't find in Which?)

Oh sorry, assumed you were sticking with the oil.

As Ian says, if you go by the Which? reports you'll end up with a very skewed idea of what's good and what's not. They take no account of good engineering or boiler design, and a considerable weighting is given to customers' subjective opinion rather than the technical benefits or drawbacks of each product.

The Navien gas boiler looks decent, personally I prefer Intergas (who you also won't find in Which?)
I shall check them out too....I am going off Which..it is not what it used to be (thinking back to 1966 or thereabouts)
George

Sounds like a good price on the gas pipe installation, obviously shop around if that's possible but I think you'll struggle to find it much cheaper

I think he is confusing you, I think he meant you can buy the gas from many companies, but it will probably have to be cadent that install your supply, £1700 is about the average to be honest

I shall check them out too....I am going off Which..it is not what it used to be (thinking back to 1966 or thereabouts)
George
It reflects rather well in one brand of boilers it frequently recommends - basking in great marketing and past glory on the outside, but full of cheap plastic and rubber on the inside

I think he is confusing you, I think he meant you can buy the gas from many companies, but it will probably have to be cadent that install your supply, £1700 is about the average to be honest
He obviously has something else in mind. Just today he told me of someone in our region (Cambridgeshire) who had their gas pipe installation from an electricity company from up North (somewhere).....saving a lot of money. I feel that Cadent makes sense but if there are benefits to this "open" market I would like to know about them. So far, no joy.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back