Heating oil tank “sweating oil”?

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
We have an old single-skinned tank that’s working just fine with no leaks but every now and then, when the wind is in the wrong direction, you’ll get a strong whiff of heating oil coming from it. We’ve had the tank inspected and checked for leaks a couple of times but on each occasion, both engineers have said that there isn’t a leak but it’s pretty common to get some “oil sweat” from these old single-skinned tanks. I’ve never heard of this before but I figure that if the tank needed replacing, both engineers would have told me!
Have you guys any thoughts on this issue?

Sponsored Links
Simple, either it's leaking, or it isn't, I would suggest there might be a weeping joint elsewhere which may produce an odour.

Ooh, actually, thats very good point and no one’s suggested that including the heating engineers! How could I find out?

Sponsored Links
I stuck my gas detector under the breather on our tank today

Attachments

• IMG_20220620_152435340.jpg
    IMG_20220620_152435340.jpg
    179.7 KB · Views: 62

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back