leak in roof above bay window?

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi Everyone,
Would really appreciate your opinions on what to to do about a leak over the bedroom bay window in a victorian mid terrace. Every roofer we've had out claims the leak is due to the gutter that runs between the slate roof and the flat roof of the bay. We've had it "repaired " twice, and still have just as much water coming in the same corner of the bedroom . The latest roofer reports the last fix was a cowboy job (see photos) which all needs to be removed in order to start over.
View media item 18286 View media item 18287 View media item 18288
The original lead lining has probably been removed, so he is proposing laying 3 layers of torch on felt with bitumen underlay- no new lead. Is that a good idea?The water that stands in the gutter implies that whatever material needs to be fully waterproof. Been doing some research on materials etc. but am having difficulty finding any advice on this style of gutter/roof. Any advice much appreciated- Thanks

Sponsored Links
looks to me by the pics last job was a bit of a botch but the other roofer is saying put torchon felt on thats not good either id strip out 2or3 rows of slates and put in new lead or gutter which ever is required but you cant tell until you strip out the mess the other roofer has left definatly would not use felt or flashband which you have at the moment

Hi. Is the lead in the gutter joined or is it one complete length? It is not clear from photos, and has a bearing on the way forward.

Thanks Cumbrianroofer and justlead1 for your responses.

Hi. Is the lead in the gutter joined or is it one complete length? It is not clear from photos, and has a bearing on the way forward.

Not sure. Have no idea what is under all the flashband- could be no lead at all at this point, any of the 2 previous roofers could have taken it out. If there is lead/guttering still under the flashband , could it possibly be salvaged and reused? I know the most recent roofer initially spoke about putting new lead in, and mentioned joining pieces, but then seemed to think the 3 layers of felt was the way forward. My gut feeling was that a gutter without lead was asking for trouble, and Cumbrianroofer seems to agree.
The unfortunate thing is, after the first roofer sealed the gutter, and the second roofer torched on some apparently worthless flashband, the leak is just as bad, if not worse than it ever was. I want lucky number 3 to do the job right. Wish I'd found this forum before the first roofer...
Thanks again

Sponsored Links
Hi There is a guy up that way who is a lead worker, on occasions contributes to this forum. He may well give you advise and do the work. If you wish to contact him i can help.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back