Leak in the expansion vessel - can I keep the heating on?

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi,

We have a leak in the expansion vessel, which is on the first floor, above the hot water cylinder.

As we wait for a plumber, can we keep the heating on?

Attachments

• IMG_3226.jpeg
    IMG_3226.jpeg
    102.8 KB · Views: 43
Sponsored Links
Yes you can leave the heating on but you may need to keep topping up the system pressure, that vessel should have been serviced every year same time as your boiler and if it had been that wouldnt have happened

Thanks.
It’s a new place I moved into. Boiler never been serviced in like 10 years and I assume the expansion vessel.

the Boiler was recently serviced and fixed. Since then we noticed the expansion vessel pressure would drop within 2 days of topping up. Today a plumber came over and saw one radiator was leaking. So he closed that off. Perhaps this increased the pressure to the point the expansion vessel broke?

Sponsored Links
Depends, is there a pressure gauge below that with the filling loop and does the pressure swing up over 2 bar when the CH's on? If not then there may have been a lack of inhibitor over the years and the EV has eventually rusted to the point where the seam has gone.

Either or it'll need replaced and it's probably just a coincidence it's starting leaking now and nothing to do with the other rad.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back