Leak near Hot Water Cylinder

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hello,

I have a minor leak in the cupboard where our hot water cylinder is located. We don't have a proper boiler, just an immersion heater.

Before I start tampering with it, does anyone know what this part of the pipework is for?

The leak is as pictured, above the transparent tray I have put there to collect the water.

Sponsored Links
That's a Tee piece, which has been a pipe work branch at some time......the pipes there are of large diameter, indicating a boiler has been fitted at some time?
John :)

Sponsored Links
Thanks for the replies.

Is this the same as a pressure relief valve?

can you get a close up of the fitting ?

I think Burner man is right its a 22mm blanking disc insert

Are those 28mm pipes reducing to 22 at the tee? Can't tell with this horrible iPad thing I'm using just now.

do you have a coal fire with a back boiler? or a gas back boiler.as that looks like a old style prv not used much now as the discharge the water all over the floor ( but you can still get them)

That's a blanking cap, the diyer run out of straight couplings. You can tell by the ptfe tape on the threads.

Andy

Sorry guys, it is a safety valve, you can see the holes around fitting, and I seen the same one before.

Daniel.

Why would there be a TRV located there......is it in case the expansion pipe became blocked or something?
Just curious!

who said anything about a TRV.

And a PRV is on a pipe from a boiler or back boiler and it is used if the feed becomes blocked as the coal back boiler has no stat.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back