Leak on shower radiator pipes (odd installation)

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hey all, long time lurker and you guys have helped me lots but I'm a bit miffed here as it's past my confident knowledge.

I bought my first house and the towel radiator has a really odd system.
Instead of just coming straight into the radiator, the central heating pipe goes past the connector, then comes up at a right angle, does another right angle into a straight radiator valve, a radiator tail, then female to male radiator towel rail elbow.

It leaked since I moved in and when the radiators were drained for a solar thermal installation, I (over) confidently took the bits apart, cleaned them, bought a new radiator tail (same as the one in the image) and put it all back in place.

I thought the radiator tail would screw in fully, it doesnt (as you can see), which is where it drips a small amount but I hoped the PTFE tape would do the job. It hasnt.
A thin layer or water is also present on the excessive PTFE taping (ha) but I'm not so worried about that.

Any advice?
Should I do a better job with my PTFE (it's clearly not great as I expected it to screw in properly but is better), change the radiator tail (do they do shorter screw length ones or a better one?), or rethink the whole installation because whoever did it was on something which might be a bit of fun?
upload_2021-10-1_20-32-45.jpeg

upload_2021-10-1_20-35-19.png

Attachments

• upload_2021-10-1_20-35-6.jpeg
    upload_2021-10-1_20-35-6.jpeg
    200.3 KB · Views: 49
Sponsored Links
Original pipe work was probably for a different size rad and modified to fit that one. I prefer gas tape , thicker, only needs 1 1/2 wraps.Never leaked on me.

Take it apart ,run PTFE tape clockwise (around 15 turns) then apply a smear of LSX .put it back together. You don't need PTFE tape on the left hand union.
To be frank ,it looks a right dog ,I would re plumb it !

Sponsored Links
@foxhole, never thought about gas tape. Thanks for the info.

@terryplumb, thanks! I did 6 clockwise turns as I kept reading people saying that going above that was too much. Never heard of LSX. V new to DIY plumbing. Cheers for the info about the union, too.
Will check the bank balance for the replumb, ha, as the electric shower is a real dogs dinner of leaks, so that's a priority with a professional and I dont (yet) trust myself with DIY replumbs!

Tbh, I think the person who sold it 'did it up' to make it look like it didnt have problems, when in reality it does. Still, not awful for a 110 year old home.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back