Leak under bathroom sink. Bring or washer?

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
The images shows it far better than I'm able to explain in, but basically there is a leak coming from where the connection between the pipe and the 'collar' is. When I took the collar off...there's no washer or o-ring (not sure what difference is). Should there be? I've lived here for 5 years, so why its suddenly leaking is a mystery to me but there doesnt seem to be any deterioration/damage/crack to pipe or collar. Thank you very much

Sponsored Links
Those chrome things are a so and so for leaking even when new!
Should be some sort of seal in there, washers are usually square in section and clamped down on by the nut / collar. O rings are round in section and usually tend to sit in a groove in the female part of the fitting and the male slips through sealing on the inside edge of the ring.

Best bet might be to replace the unit with a new one that will have the seals with it.

Picture 2, The trap looks like it is under strain and not lined up properly,

You could try some PTFE tape around the thread of the collar, that might work.

Thanks a lot for the replies. Just returned home and the leak still there.going to try the PTFE tape suggestion tomorrow and buy some from B &Q (then if doesnt work maybe get a new piece). Can I just check that the part that Bosswhite thinks is under strain is section a? and that I should try putting PTFE tape INSIDE section b? (I had a leak at section C too but i bought some 'trap washers' and that sorted it but it hasn't sorted the leak between section a and b.

Thanks very much
GALLERY]

Sponsored Links
That's usually a compression fitting into the trap, is that one not? B in your picture, does that ring unscrew and there's a rubber seal in there that wraps round pipe C?

Thanks Madrab. Ive done another image showing the part that can come out from b. Nothing else unscrews (so the section sticking out in blue is all connected and there is no rubber seals inside.) Following advice from an assistant at B and q, I did put a trap washer inside this part b and the section c. it stopped the leak at C. But it still leaks at b.

Thanks.

GALLERY]

OK, so it's gotta be a push fit therefore there must have been an o ring or something similar fitted within B somewhere, no other way to get a watertight seal when inserting A into B.

Thanks Rob, I put a trap washer inside B, as per B and Q's suggestion. But that hasn't stopped it. Should I have asked for an Oring instead. Should I aso put some TPFE tape inside? Cheers

This gives you an idea of what components it should have :)

http://www.bristan.com/WebRoot/BristanNewDB/Shops/Bristan/Products/INSTRUC. PDF-1058526-1-D4-1.PDF

Page 2, number 3 - the o-ring. I'm still convinced that the shroud on B should come off tho.

You need something rubberised in there to seal it. It's difficult to suggest a foolproof method that will work for you unfortunately when it's not clear what it should be to start with (what mating faces are in there) and not being there is doubly difficult.

Thanks again Rob. You were right...the shroud on B did come off! When we got it off, and put some TPFE tape inside...this cured it for now and have ordered the replacement parts based on the link you sent!. I had no idea what type of sink it was! Appreciate your help hugely!

Thank you all. :D

Glad you got it sorted....Just remember that the link I gave you was for a bristan and not necessarily the same make as yours, these chrome plated traps can be strange sizes sometimes, but the parts can be pretty similar... just in case :)

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back