Leak under kitchen sink

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi all

The tenant of our flat just emailed me this picture of the very slow leak under the kitchen sink. The colour and location suggests it is to do with the pipe above. Any suggestions as to the cause and how I fix it? I'm at good DIYer level and don't really have the change to call a plumber out.

Sorry, image got rotated in uploading and don't know how to fix!

Many thanks,
James

[/img]

Sponsored Links
You'll need more than change to get a plumber out.

Someone has to find the leak, no-one can do that but you.

You'll need more than change to get a plumber out.

Someone has to find the leak, no-one can do that but you.

Exactly why I would like to fix it myself!

It is quite a journey to get to the flat and I am going today to look myself: I just hoped someone might be able to offer guidance so I can take the right tools with me and find the cause and solution

We can't tell by looking whether it is plasterboard, stud wall etc. Or whether the fittings are compression, solder etc. Just take the whole lot with you, and even then you'll still have to nip to B&Q.

Sponsored Links
We can't tell by looking whether it is plasterboard, stud wall etc. Or whether the fittings are compression, solder etc. Just take the whole lot with you, and even then you'll still have to nip to B&Q.

It's a breeze block wall behind. For long-winded reasons I will be going on the tube and can't carry my whole tool box with me.

As you suggesting that the leak could be emanating from behind the rear of the cupboard carcass?

I doubt anyone can tell until you get there. Can't the tenant look to see where the leak is coming from? It may be something that needs sealing or a bit of a tighten up.

1) Check the washing machine hose connection. (The big white nut going onto the blue tap fitting). It might just need nipping up.

2) Fill up the bowl to the top and let the water down it could be leaking on the waste somewhere and again just need nipping up.

The last two leaks I've seen like that were simple fixes. One was the overflow pipe leaking at the sink connection and the other was the screw in the plug hole that needed a bit of silicone and a tighten.

Both five minute jobs.

Ok so you have demonstrated there is a leak.

To narrow it down, wrap kitchen roll around the various pipes in various locations. Eventually you will track it back to one piece of paper getting wet and that will point to where it's coming out. Then hope it's simple to get to and as simple as tightening something up. It almost certainly will be (the latter, could be a pig to get to).

If the under sink cupboard is full of junk, which is again almost certainly will be, these might press against these cheap plastic waste pipes and cause leaks.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back