Leaking 15mm to 10mm internal reducer

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi,

I've just installed a few radiators and I have 10mm mini bore going to 15mm TRV's and lockshields. I used 15mm to 10mm internal reducers on the valves with copper 10mm olives, but most of my joints are leaking. I even wrapped the olives in PTFE before tightening the fitting. Looking at the design of these things, I'm wondering what stops the brass fitting that goes into the valve from leaking?

Should I undo and apply loads more PTFE around the olive or some liquid PTFE to around the olive this time?

Thanks in advance.

Attachments

• ae235.jpg
    ae235.jpg
    8.9 KB · Views: 309
Sponsored Links
You are probably not assembling properly. Show us a pic of how you are fitting the three pieces onto a pipe.
The part that fits into the valve has a tapered shoulder and fits into the taper of the valve ,as an olive would.
A smear of LSX on the taper helps .
Is pipe copper or plastic ?
The reducer in the pic looks like it doesn't need an olive ,is it supplied as a single unit ,not in pieces?

Hi,

Looking at the design of these things, I'm wondering what stops the brass fitting that goes into the valve from leaking?
A smear of LSX ( other jointing compounds are available_)

You are probably not assembling properly. Show us a pic of how you are fitting the three pieces onto a pipe.
The part that fits into the valve has a tapered shoulder and fits into the taper of the valve ,as an olive would.
A smear of LSX on the taper helps .
Is pipe copper or plastic ?
The reducer in the pic looks like it doesn't need an olive ,is it supplied as a single unit ,not in pieces?

Here's a better photo of the part. The larger piece on the left is in the TRV, then the olive and right hand piece on the pipe fitting snug on the nut for the TRV.

Identical to how it's shown in this video:

Attachments

• Screenshot_20201003-204028.png
    Screenshot_20201003-204028.png
    818.9 KB · Views: 410
Sponsored Links
A smear of LSX ( other jointing compounds are available_)

Thank you. Could you please clarify where I should apply the LSX. Is it around the olive? The thread of the nut or the brass fitting that goes inside the TRV?

I like to smear it all over her naked...

Taper!
(as @terryplumb advised above) :whistle:

Ah I missed that bit. Also with radiator tails, where would I apply the compound? Ptfe tape alone hasn't worked for me. I'm unsure of I should 1) use compound alone on the thread 2) use ptfe and compound together and if so, which order?

Thanks in advance

Yes
Here's a better photo of the part. The larger piece on the left is in the TRV, then the olive and right hand piece on the pipe fitting snug on the nut for the TRV.

The piece on right is

The piece on the right is wrong way

Yes

The piece on right is

The piece on the right is wrong way

Mine is not fitted as per the photo, that's just to indicate what part I was using. The piece on the right is facing the other way round, so the small end fills the gap between the nut and pipe, just like the video.

Thank you. Could you please clarify where I should apply the LSX. Is it around the olive? The thread of the nut or the brass fitting that goes inside the TRV?
the brass fitting that goes in the trv.

If you are assembling the reducer correctly as you described ,and so many are leaking ,then you must be overtightening and crushing the olive ,or not tightening enough.
I ask again ,is the pipe copper or plastic ?

If you are assembling the reducer correctly as you described ,and so many are leaking ,then you must be overtightening and crushing the olive ,or not tightening enough.
I ask again ,is the pipe copper or plastic ?

10mm copper pipe. I started with gentle tightening and the leaks remained even with some tightening. I plan to apply some lsx tomorrow and see how I get on

If you undo one of the leaking joints ,can you easily remove the olive from the pipe ?

If you undo one of the leaking joints ,can you easily remove the olive from the pipe ?

I'll check in the morning and update. I suspect by now that the olive wouldn't detach without some effort, albeit I'm certain I didn't over tighten to start with and the leak remained through the progressive tightening

When you use these, you tighten till you feel a snap, that is the parts seperating, then you tighten more till tight, sounds like you are not snapping the fitting

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back