Leaking Alloys

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
7 year old car, 3 of the 4 tyres losing a few pound of pressure every few weeks. 205/55/R16 Apparently can't fit tubes to that size - Any suggestions for a long term fix. Have had one reseated at tyre fitters but it still has minor leak.

Sponsored Links
With the tyres off, the inner rim needs to be wire brushed smooth, and tyre fitters then apply some sealant to stop the leaks.
Tip.....get them to check the valve stem seal too.....these often leak very slightly. Notorious on VAG cars for some reason!
John :)

Any good tyre fitter will clean up your rims so that they don't leak. And if they still leak, which they shouldn't, I know someone who has that size of tube in stock. ;)

What is the size of tube to fit onto those tyres?

Tony

Sponsored Links
The tube needs to be the same size as the tyre, but low profile ones aren't common and I certainly wouldn't use one.
The tyre fitting world can sort that problem without any bother, really......if it really was desperate I'd use a sealing mousse injected through the valve - if it's done right then the wheel balance isn't affected.
Run any tubed tyre under inflated and watch the rubber dust come out when the tube is removed!
John :)

Back