Leaking and corroded boiler- with photos

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi all

Greenstar 30si compact
So my boiler has been working fine, just it loses pressure and needs topping up a 3-4 times a month. There’s rust marks down the facia and I need to keep a washing up bowl underneath it to catch drips. So I took the cover off today - and look at the state of this corrosion?

is it time for a new boiler? Or can we narrow down what might be wrong here?

85B2480D-A4EB-422D-98FF-1D8EE759AD09.jpeg
10F7FE02-400C-43FA-90F5-A17B7DB08FF5.jpeg
D42FCB81-7F52-4557-A51B-2C4DA84F376F.jpeg
B72C9C9C-2D46-4FF0-A7C8-86E4FB7E047A.jpeg
A2DC04FF-BF8A-49B9-8444-35FBBE8BEA61.jpeg
1E18AFAB-2755-4618-8853-32901AA6D715.jpeg
6A34BABA-68B8-4B51-B757-29C507191650.jpeg

Sponsored Links
I’m not sure if the cover should be removed on that boiler without being able to perform safety checks afterwards. Auto air vent has leaked at some point, but likely to be elsewhere, possibly the main heat exchanger. How old is the boiler? Any reason you’ve left it leaking before calling someone in?

I’ve been in the house 6 months and thought perhaps the drop in pressure could have been caused by a leak in the ch system elsewhere. But I’ve recently removed a lot of the radiators whilst I’m working on the house and that’s led me to narrow it down to the boiler.
I’m not sure how old it is- bought the house under probate so didn’t get a lot of info.

Judging by the amount of rust, especially around the heat exchanger, I’d probably say new boiler - happy to be corrected though.

Sponsored Links
Worth getting WB out to it on a fixed price repair. It'll be less than 10 years old

• Thanks
Reactions: CBW
Worth getting WB out to it on a fixed price repair. It'll be less than 10 years old
Was thinking fpr, but wasn’t sure on age. Do you think they’ll entertain it though?

At worst it'll cost you £90 to find out it's beyond economic repair

• Thanks
Reactions: CBW
Thanks for all the advice so far.

I called to WB. The boiler is around 8 years old.
They offered me to options:
1. Pay £298 for a one off visit from one of their engineers. He’ll check the boiler and either
fix it (fully covered by my £298)
or condemn it (and I get my £298 back).

2. Pay £300 for a 6-month plan where if
they fix it first time then I can get more callouts covered for 6 months, and if after the first fix it gets condemned I’ll get up to £750 for a new boiler,
Or if first time it’s condemned I get my money back.

I’d probably go with the 1st option.

Either option really,

Imo it will get condemned either way.

There is a small chance it will get fixed and it looks worse than it is.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back