Leaking bath feed

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi,
Last week the hot water feed to the bath sprang a heavy spraying leak at the grey elbow joint (below, the one furthest from camera, hot water) where it joins the copper.

A hot bath was being run at the time. The bath and plastic pipes were installed 3 years ago by b&Q and had never leaked before, so I assumed the joint had overheated and expanded. British gas came and declared the boiler normal but that we had the water temp too high, at 70C, and to keep it below 50.

So everything was fine for 4 days then today it did it again. This time the washing machine, which calls hot water from the boiler on demand, was doing a wash. I found the nut on the grey plastic elbow, where it joined the copper, was hand loose. I took it apart. It has a metal ring which grips the copper then a plastic and a rubber washer that screw against the metal ring to seal it. I wrenched it tight.

My questions are, why now, after 3 years. Why would the washing machine set it off. Is my airing of the joists (below) adequate. I cut out the bit of plasterboard that sagged where the water pooled. Might it happen again? The bath and leak are directly above the 7 year old vaillant ecotec 831 boiler, and I wondered if over-pressure may be building in the hot feed somehow.

Thank you for any thoughts you may have.

Sponsored Links
I'd replace the push fit elbow with either the same brand (IE hep or polypipe looks like) or a compression elbow, wrenching a pushfit tight is asking for trouble

Thanks. A plumber came and did just that, replaced them both, took about 2 minutes. He was unable to guess why it sprung a leak after 3 years of good behaviour.

Sponsored Links
As you are now nervous about those fittings, as anyone would be following a failure! You could replace them with the latest Hep20 fittings - they are white and require a demounting tool to remove once fitted: Google will find them. If you decide either way to keep or replace, give the tube a good pull away from the fitting when installed - this will help engage the teeth of the metal ring into the plastic pipe.

Edit: just seen the above posts, which weren't there when I first viewed on my phone and started this msg :rolleyes:

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back