Leaking bath waste seal

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
I had a leaking bath waste and it was dripping from the waste - where it connects to the underside of the bath. This has been in place for approximately 10 years.

This is how the seal looked and I thought it would be worth replacing this.
36F9BF47-E40A-4548-A966-97D3C78F021A.jpegB3B4B1E1-E208-4781-8665-3FCAA92CA5F6.jpeg

Tried at City Plumbing and Wolseley. Both wanted to sell me a £30 waste kit!

I cleaned this washer up and popped it back in - with a healthy blob of silicone!

It sits on one of these:

F09F14AE-FD52-47FA-BEC9-364DA65D7E25.jpeg

I assume I need to let the silicone dry for a day before I test for leaks?

Also, can I buy these washers for future use and is the ridge on this important?

Thanks in advance.

Sponsored Links
As long as the seal is malleable and not mis-shapen then no need to replace it. Just a good clean up and the same with the bath/waste mating surfaces, with a some fine sandpaper even, so it's nice and clean and then just re-make joint. A little silicone on both sides then hand tight and half a turn and leave for 30mins then all should be fine.

The ridge on the seal sits into the recess of the black waste, so it doesn't move about when tightened.

As long as the seal is malleable and not mis-shapen then no need to replace it. Just a good clean up and the same with the bath/waste mating surfaces, with a some fine sandpaper even, so it's nice and clean and then just re-make joint. A little silicone on both sides then hand tight and half a turn and leave for 30mins then all should be fine.

The ridge on the seal sits into the recess of the black waste, so it doesn't move about when tightened.
Thanks for the response.
I wanted to buy a few spares (somewhere online?) in case I need them in future. Unsure on what I should buy as spares I.e. with or without this ridge

If the seal is to sit in a waste that has a recess then that's when the ridge is important, it locates the seal properly on the waste and stops movement. If the waste was flat faced then the seal would be flat or with a lip on the outside edge to do the same.

Sponsored Links
Ummm…should I have a couple of each for similar situations in the future or are there other variations of this seating too?

The plot thickens…

Still interested in having some spare washers in the shed but this leak was not down to the washer at all. Went to test for leak after putting together earlier and it was still leaking. It’s only when I recorded from the back side of the waste that I noticed a small nick.

1674338573470.png

1674338524220.png

I have now replaced the whole waste and the leak seems to have stop.

Have you seen anything like this and any ideas on what may have caused it? The area under the bath has not been accessed as it was closed by the bath panels.

Has anyone experienced this and any suggestions on what may have caused this?

I would appreciate your thoughts please.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back