Leaking boiler

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi there,

I need a little bit of advice please.

We have a 2 year old Potterton Promax in the garage.

About 4 weeks ago it stopped working, we have homeserve cover so we called them out and the guy said it was a leak inside on power and PCB. He stopped the leak and dried the PCB and it worked again.

This morning it stopped working again, I've checked the boiler and there is a small amount of water on the bottom of the boiler so I'm thinking maybe another leak. I've got it working again by turning it off and on.

I've called the Homeserve people and they will come out tomorrow (sent out Gasguys last time, we're in Winsford Cheshire).

My worry is that they will fix the leak again and dry things off and that will be it. Should I be worried about rusting? The case of the boiler has rusted on the outside were the water is. Will the PCB rust in time now that it has had water on it?

Should I insist they replace the PCB (its got insurance although this runs out in August as it was the insurance the homebuilding gave us when we moved intot he new build)?

Also am I allowed to take the front of the boiler to see what rusting there is for myself?

Thanks in advance for your advice as always.

Paul.

Sponsored Links
you can take the white cover off, if a water leak has dripped onto the PCB it would be dripping from the flow-switch area, (top right) where the pipes exit h/ex and visible without removing combustion chamber cover. PCBs are in the black plastic box that all the wires go into.

Thanks for the fast reply Mick!

What are your thoughts on damage by water to the PCB? Will it be knackered long term?

will depend on amount of water, how long before it was dried, how it was dried etc.

Sponsored Links
dried with a towel - never tried that myself - hair dryer is usually first choice, I would say trouble with using a towel it doesn't get in all the nooks and crannies, whereas hot air gets everywhere water can.

Days is not good, but if it works first time with no crackle/buzz its usually ok.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back