Leaking Boiler

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hello I have a boiler which is a Glow worm Fuel save Mk 2 about twenty odd years old.

The last week or so we have noticed a strange smell in the bedroom which I have been getting the blame for. :oops:

Anyway yesterday the house was shut up and all doors closed and with it being cold the heating had been working. On entering the bedroom there was a strong smell of gas. Traced this back to the boiler in the garage below, if I sniff the top of the boiler there is a definate smell of gas.

There appears to be no leak from the pipe entering the boiler so I presume its not venting or there is gas leaking from a component inside.

The boiler is now switched off :) and problem is solved for now.

Couple of quick questions, can anyone suggest probable problems so I am not given a load of baloney when I get a man in.

If its worse case scenario and the boiler needs to be replaced any suggestions we have 7 rads plus a power shower and want minimum disruption! Reliable make thats not going to mean selling my body to pay for it!

Last but not least as I am going to have to get a corgi geezer in anyone know recommend a bod in Warrington.

Sponsored Links
If you have any suspicion that you have a gas leak, you can get a free emergency response from National Grid (was Transco) or your local gas network owner,

They will not repair your boiler for you, but they will search for the fault, and if they can quickly and easily fix it (e.g. tighten a loose joint or replace a damaged pipe) will do it free. Otherwise they will make it safe (usually by turning off) and tell you what they found, which may save time when calling your Corgi.

Do it now.

I have called them twice in my lifetime, and been very pleased with the response.

Emergency Contact Numbers

Gas Emergencies
0800 111 999 (This is a 24 hour emergency line.)
If you smell gas, think you have a gas leak, or are worried that fumes containing carbon monoxide are escaping from a gas appliance, please call the free emergency line immediately.

http://www.nationalgrid.com/uk/Gas/#smellgas

Easily satisfied?

I have never heard of them ever repairing the simplest of gas leaks. Not even just tightening up the gas inlet compression nut under a boiler.

The last one I went to had no gas leak but in spite of that the left it capped off because she said she could smell gas.

I dont complain though because it creates a few jobs for us!

Tony

Sponsored Links
I was satisfied because:

On one occasion, I actually did have a slight leak from a disused gas-fire connection. The guy fitted a cap and opened some kind of regulator/tap on the hearth and closed it. He also replaced a lead pipe at the meter with an "anaconda" saying that lead pipes were undesirable as they melt in fires.

On the other occasion, he did a pressure test; there was no loss of pressure after some period; therefore I was mistaken in thinking I had a leak (smell was probably food spillage behind the cooker). However he did point out I ought to have an anti-tip chain on the cooker, and the cooker pipework was tight on the hose, so I had those two things fixed later.

Yep, easily satisfied, that's me :LOL:

I must call them out to about 50% of my new services/installations for many faults. They are all happy to help and know most personally round here now.

If someone has reported a smell of gas or fumes and they cannot find a fault they are obliged to leave installation disked and then customer has to get CORGI in to re-instate supply to house.

You just have to be careful with your terminology when you call them in ;)

Hes been, its fixed and I am very satisfied. :LOL:

Thanks JohnD

Turned out that it was a leaking boss? that had probably been leaking for years, we fitted a new fire door to the garage recently which must have stopped the ventilation.

Jobs a good un.

Agile said:
...I have never heard of them ever repairing the simplest of gas leaks....
You won't be able to say that again! :LOL:

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back