Leaking central heating pump connector

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
I have a worcester combi boiler with a maintanance contract. The central heating pump connector has been leaking for a while and previously dueing the service they put some fernox around it which seemed to cure the problem.

However this week a part failed resulting in it not detecting when the hot water tap was turned on so no hot water unless the central heating was on at the same time. They came today and replaced it however in doing so they had to disconnect the end of the pump connector furthurst away from the pump and since then it has been leaking a lot more (drip a second sometimes).

They are coming back next week however I can now see that the water is coming from the point where the pipe narrows.
The problem is that they cannot get hold of this part.
I am guessing that the thinner pipe is designed to slide inside and there is an o-ring there to act as a seal in order to make the pipe easier to fit. They use a similar arrangement elsewhere in the boiler.

Has anyone seen one of these before. Can they be purchased?

Picture 1
Picture 2

Thanks
Gareth

Sponsored Links
I'm just wondering why you don't change the seals for ones that don't leak

Sponsored Links
is this a BG contract?

the part should still be available. i have one and just replace the whole coupling. looks like the pump nut may have to be cut off as well.

breesey, is the o-ring available seperately? is it in the seal pack for this model?....240 by the looks of it.....would like to know for the one day from hell when i get two of these back to back lol

Mainly because I dont know if there are seals inside. I am just guessing thats the way it works from the other similar fitting I saw the engineer adjust earlier today.

Yes it is a worcester 240 and its on a worcester contract.
When the engineer looks on their laptop there is no information shown on the part. All that is listed is a pump washer.

The engineer said that parts for these boilers will stop being produced in the next year or two and at that point they will cancel the service contract so I want to make sure everything is working fully before that happens.

This leak has been going on for a long time and the engineers are reluctant to remove the part incase they can fix it and the leak becomes even worse. Its now at a stage after changing the other unit that it has to be fixed as the leak is too bad.

If it was a standard part I would go and buy a spare just incase. It has been leaking for a long time so as far as I know the inside could have worn away aswell in a similar to taps if they have been leaking for a long time and require reseating.

Yes it is a worcester 240 and its on a worcester contract.
When the engineer looks on their laptop there is no information shown on the part. All that is listed is a pump washer.

frankly im amazed that worcester cant get the part if i can.

The engineer said that parts for these boilers will stop being produced in the next year or two and at that point they will cancel the service contract so I want to make sure everything is working fully before that happens.

whilst im not at all clued up on worcesters parts situation and contract particulars im pretty sure that is a load of utter *******s.

This leak has been going on for a long time and the engineers are reluctant to remove the part incase they can fix it and the leak becomes even worse. Its now at a stage after changing the other unit that it has to be fixed as the leak is too bad.

if they cant get the part i can almost understand that but at the very least a small amount of PTFE will solve the problem in the short term.

nickso,
So you know of this part?
You can confirm that the smaller diamiater pipe slide inside with an o-ring to make it watertight?

If you can that would be a great help as at least I can then get them to take the part off, clean it up and replace the o-ring.

If you look at picture 2 you can actually see a drip of water from the point it is leaking. It seems to leak all around the pipe at that point which reinforces my belief it is a sliding arrangement with an internal o-ring.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back