Wilo central heating pump doesn't start up

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
I am having problems with my central heating. Having fixed some leaks and added a fernox magnetic filter my next problem is the pump.

When I turn on the central heating system the pump doesn't start. I can see it is getting electricity as the pump body gets hot.

I tried loosening the centre screw and gently prodding inside, and that does start it up just fine. However the next time, same thing.

Every time to get it started i have to remove the screw and after that it works again until the next time the heating is off and comes in again.

Any ideas? Do I need a new pump?

Sponsored Links
Most probably a faulty capacitor if it starts up with a bit of help.

Thanks. That could be it. Is that something that I can replace, or does it need a whole new pump? It's a Wilo Gold 50 pump.

Sponsored Links
Not knowing the OPs financial situation then replacing the pump when a £2 capacitor will do the job is a bit OTT.

Yes I agree that a new pump will be beneficial and probably needed in the long run but this is after all a DIY site.

Xmas is coming and with the price of a new pump in the 3 figure mark then as a cost affective solution that may just help them out then why not try it?

As an engineer then yes I'd say new pump as I can warrantee that but as a simple DIY repair the OP has nothing to lose.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back