Leaking CH overflow pipe

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
My house has an overflow pipe in which water is dripping ever so slightly. I can also see steam coming from the pipe. I think I researched into this before and found that it might be down to a failed valve in the heating system somewhere. The water tank is in an upstairs cupboard but I can't see anything that says what type it is. Should vapour be able to escape in this way while the water is heated or should the vapour be contained within the system?

Sponsored Links
if its hot water in a plastic header tank it needs looking into before the tank collapses.

give us a pic and we'll tell you what type it is.

Do you mean the o/flow from the tanks in the loft? Not enough system information.

Sponsored Links
combination cylinder or fortic cylinder.

check the ball valve is shutting off fully.
whats the stat set to on the side of the cylinder ?

combination cylinder.

check the ball valve is shutting off fully.
whats the stat set to on the side of the cylinder ?

Thanks. It's a gravity-fed system (think that is right term).

It's really difficult to check the valve as there is not much room between the ceiling and the top of the cylinder.

The stat is set to 55C.

whats that grey box next to the cylinder stat ?

Not sure. Cable goes from cylinder stat into the box and then cable back out that goes into a Honeywell box, I think a power box, which then feeds into the timer.

has it any writing on it ?
have you another plastic tank somewhere high up ?

you need to check the ball valve first in the top.

Will try and check the valve. Pretty certain there is no other tank - if there is, it's well hidden!

Just to clarify, the dripping is only happening when the heating is on. It's not a continous thing.

Thanks for your help so far.

yousure the overflow is from that tank ?
check the vertical pipe from the silver box when only heating on is it hot along the pipe ?
what boiler is it ?

Boiler is a Potterton Prima one but that is on the opposite side of the house.

99.9% sure it is as the dripping and visible steam is only when the heating is on. Also it was checked when I called a plumber out on a previous job that was a problem with the circulating pump.

have you a red expanssion vessel with gauge near the boiler or somewhere ?

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back