Leaking Compression Joint

Every compression fitting shouild be sealed with 'Boss White' only.
even on drinking water.....

He'll come along in a moment and tell you that he's using Boss White as a generic term rather than the brand name (we've had this discussion before...), and he actually means Jet Blue or something similar as he knows Boss White isn't permitted on potable water installations.

What he seems to forget, however, is that this is a DIY advice site and DIYers will see that he's said Boss White and go to a merchants and ask for Boss White, unaware that it can't be used. Quite why he can't say jointing compound or Jet Blue is a mystery, but he seems to be quite incapable of doing so.

But Boss White is a generic trade name mate. You don't want me to change that for the Tank Top sporting DaftyDIYers do you??!! If Harry Green tells them to screw floorboards down, he doesn't say use Quickstart screws does he??!!

Sponsored Links
This is a DIY site not a trade site you tit, you need to give the correct information, so yes I do think you should change for the DIYers, however they might dress, and they aren't necessarily daft they just don't know any better. And who the f*ck is Harry Green, not that it's relevant I suspect...

I tend to always use copper olives, although brass olives have their uses. No need for any paste on a joint. I've never needed to. For piece of mind some PTFE on the olive only goes a long way.

Nothing wrong with brass olives. CC/CCCs & DaftyDIYers use PTFE on compression fittings. Boss White(generic) should be the only thing used by Real Plumbers.
Real plumbers shop at real plumbers merchants so why can you easily get PTFE from any merchants in the UK!

The point is simple, use what is appropriate for the situation and have no leaks.

The terminology on this site needs to be correct as mentioned before this is a diy forum and non plumbers wont understand what to use and when.

This is a DIY site not a trade site you tit, you need to give the correct information, so yes I do think you should change for the DIYers, however they might dress, and they aren't necessarily daft they just don't know any better. And who the f*ck is Harry Green, not that it's relevant I suspect...
Well said!
Immature comments to follow as usual........

Sponsored Links
So, if DIY 'not' is completely for DIYers why are most of the members in this section Pros??!! A on-line forum is to help other people, but you chaps are just confusing the DIYers & making them look a even bigger laughing stock with the counter rats at the Plumbers' Merchants!!! I mean; if they go into the merchants & ask for Boss White, that's what they'll get, Boss White. But if they are told by my good self that it's a generic trade name, they'll hopefully research the subject before hand & then go into the Merchants & ask for the correct 'Boss White' & not get the pizz taken out of them by the spotty herbert behind the Trade Counter.................It makes the hard of thinking DIYer think!!.....................Get it??

You're on a DIY site & you don't know who Harry Green is??..........Shame on you!! What's a crib sheet??

Anyway, DIYers of this fine forum, use Boss White on all your compression joints, study hard the teachings of the Guru Harry Green & when you've made a complete arze of all the Plumbing in your home...............Call in a Pro.

Harry Greene? (And if you're going to hero-worship someone, at least spell their name right. :LOL: )
Barry Bucknell is (was) king:

:LOL: :LOL: Can't see that video stay up long!! Thanks Charmless, not seen that one before.............. ;)
Sorry about my spelling the Guru's name wrong............. :oops:

So, if DIY 'not' is completely for DIYers why are most of the members in this section Pros??!! A on-line forum is to help other people, but you chaps are just confusing the DIYers & making them look a even bigger laughing stock with the counter rats at the Plumbers' Merchants!!! I mean; if they go into the merchants & ask for Boss White, that's what they'll get, Boss White. But if they are told by my good self that it's a generic trade name, they'll hopefully research the subject before hand & then go into the Merchants & ask for the correct 'Boss White' & not get the pizz taken out of them by the spotty herbert behind the Trade Counter.................It makes the hard of thinking DIYer think!!.....................Get it??.

Err, no, I don't get it at all actually. How am I confusing people? I'm saying that you should tell them to get Jet Blue, which is the correct and approved product for the job and quite clear to both the DIYer and the man in the merchants. You, on the other hand, are saying "you need to get boss white except its not really boss white because that's not approved, so you really need a different product but you'll have to find out for yourself what it is because I'm not going to tell you". I don't quite see why you think your approach is less confusing than mine??? People come onto this site to find the correct answers and solutions, not to be told to go off and find out somewhere else, and not to be confused by idiots giving them incorrect product names.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back