Leaking compression joint

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi,
Had a new downstairs bathroom fitted with new floor a few months ago which has a central heating drain pipe terminating outside(see photo)
I have opened the compression drain nut to drain a few times previously when changing radiators etc by using two spanners to avoid twisting pipe however a few days ago I did the same and in a stupid moment turned the pipe. The combi boiler has since been refilled etc but still slowly losing pressure.i think I have caused a slow leak on the pipe connection under the suspended bathroom floor. I was tempted to do the same action as to tighten the inaccessible compression joint under the floor as to seal leak but would this work. The only other solution is to rip out a new bathroom and cut through the wooden floor to get access or could I use CH leak sealer though all the pipes off the 22mm loop are 10mm so not sure if that would create a blockage.

Attachments

• IMG-20220502-WA0000.jpg
    IMG-20220502-WA0000.jpg
    229.9 KB · Views: 91
Sponsored Links
Hi
Thanks for reply.

Cannot take bricks out as cavity and to far into house to joint.

The other place I have touched is visible and not leaking.

May try camera idea as I have one so may see if can look through near air vent brick.

No way to bypass as the downstairs new bathroom runs off this pipe.

Would turning the other way re tighten or further loosen joint and turn a slight leak into a bigger one.

Thanks though as any ideas are useful

Turning the other way might tighten it, depends on how tight the nut is on the olive, or it could be made worse, anything else is just spinning wheels I'm afraid. Sealer may be the only other option but it really is a last resort and I hate the stuff as it can cause unwanted blockages. It really is a last resort

Rule out anything else first. TBH there should also be a drain cock on there, not a stop end.

Do you know roughly where the possibly leaking joint is?

Sponsored Links
Hi
Thanks for reply I so wish would of changed to a draiin valve when last drained it but hindsight is a wonderful thing
The joint is in middle of downstairs bathroom floor about 1m to 1.5m from outside wall.
May have to use leak sealer as just cannot bring myself to wreck the bathroom.
I have a clean system but 10mm pipe to rads and a logic combi boiler so may have to risk but do you think it could stop the leak.
If you have any ideas would be great thanks

Leak sealer is a real hit or miss affair, sometimes it works, sometimes it doesn't, There's no guarantees. That's why I hate it and once it's in the system then it needs a full flush to get it out so invariably it's in there for a long time.

The reason for asking is could a certain set of tiles be removed and replaced? An experienced tiler should be able to do that invisibly.

Do you know if the pipe runs under the new floor or the bath? An alternative option might be to locate where it is and send the pipe under the bath, so it’s accessible? Depends on what’s the other side of the downstairs bathroom.

Can you access the other end of the pipe? If so , you may be able to remove this pipe add a new section and re route to a new place to drain rads from

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back