Leaking door and fitting a new threshold

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Dear all

Grateful for any advice you can offer. I'm not sure if I'm overtthinking this!

We have a south facing internally opening back door which has been causing problems since we moved in a few years ago. I think it is an original Victorian door, set in a rebated frame. I think the currebt wooden threshold is more recent.

There is constant water seepage under the door. I'm not exactly sure where the water is coming in (whether it's down the sides or under the wooden drip bar). It was difficult to open last year (as had expanded) so a joiner rehung it on new hinges and I think trimmed a little off. I repainted all the edges including the bottom, but the same has happened again and it is now very difficult to open and shut.

I have come to the conclusion that I need to change the threshold and the Stormguard ones look very good and have positive reviews. What I can't understand is how to fit them in an internally opening door with an existing raised cill. See the photos. Do I need to cut out the raised bit in the middle of the sill and replace with the aluminium threshold?

Measurement wise - the door is 46mm thick. The rebated part of the current threshold that it sits in is 50mm.

Thanks in advance for any thoughts.

Attachments

• 20180221_175918.jpg
    20180221_175918.jpg
    176.2 KB · Views: 164
  • 20180221_175841.jpg
    20180221_175841.jpg
    165.5 KB · Views: 223
  • 20180221_175839.jpg
    20180221_175839.jpg
    168.5 KB · Views: 184
  • 20180221_175902.jpg
    20180221_175902.jpg
    159.4 KB · Views: 160
  • 20180221_175850.jpg
    20180221_175850.jpg
    163.9 KB · Views: 196
  • 20180221_175908.jpg
    20180221_175908.jpg
    146.3 KB · Views: 181
Sponsored Links
I think you have a fundamental problem.

It seems to me you have an open in door with a rebated cill. Thats not good, water gets in and cant escape.

Any water running down the door near the edges of the door, will run down where there is a gap at the ends of the door drip and get in.

Open in doors always have a flat cill with a water bar and the door is rebated over the bar.

Im not sure the correct solution really, I suppose cut the frame cill so its flat, cut the door shorter and fit an open in aly threshold seal, like an exitex one.

Thanks for the helpful reply.

Any reason to go Exitex over stormguard? And just one of the normal aluminium thresholds? Thanks

I think stormguard may be exitex rebranded for retail.

I use this one for open in doors:

https://www.ironmongerydirect.co.uk...mm-inward-opening-doors-mill-aluminium-227390

I suppose you could try this one:

https://www.ironmongerydirect.co.uk/product/stormguard-lowline-threshold-1000mm-gold-525001

You might get away without cutting all of your rebate off, but in that case you will need to drill drainage holes. Theres a risk of trapping water.

Your best bet would be to cut the threshold down so there is no rebate, fit the threshold and cut the door down to suit.

I always cut a bit more off the door than they say -their measurements I find leave the door tight on the bottom wiping seal.

silicone the threshold -underneath and the ends, dont fill the drainage holes!

Sponsored Links
Hi,
Thanks for the really helpful advice. That was the conclusion that I had come to in the end. My worry about not taking the whole rebate off, and drilling holes, is that the holes may plug themselves off with dirt at some point. So I think I will probably take the whole thing off. I'm hoping it's screwed/glued on as an addition, but if it's part of the frame then I'll probably use a multitool to make it flush.

Thanks again for the help. I'll try to post back with my success story (or otherwise...)

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back