Leaking drain washing away my drive - how to seal joint?

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi,

I have finally got around to looking into why the corner of my drive has slowly been sinking and it has become apparent that this is because the floor drainage channel (sorry, not entirely sure what this is called) isn't fitted correctly and is leaking at one of the joints.

The channels are cemented firmly and so I don't want to go about having to remove the pieces and so I am looking for a way to seal the gap to stop the water flowing out. I am sure I can do this with silicon but is there a better, longer term product?

Pictures here

Any help or advice would be greatly appreciated.

Sponsored Links
Perhaps your post should be transferred to the Building Forum? Ask the mods.

What make is your channel drainage?

How are the sections connected?

Is there an outlet to take away the water? Am i looking at it?

Perhaps your post should be transferred to the Building Forum? Ask the mods.

What make is your channel drainage?

How are the sections connected?

Is there an outlet to take away the water? Am i looking at it?

Hi, I have requested this to be moved. I believe it is FloPlast - bought from Screwfix by the previous owners.

I think it should just clip together but it is misalligned creating a gap and hence the water is flowing out of it.

The outlet is further up but drops down into the ground. The water flows fine all the way along and disappears fine but it is just this section where the water flows out.

I am thinking I could just fill the gap with gutter seal? And then to be sure perhaps cover it with gutter seal tape?

What you have there is an aco drain or similar.what is shown on your picture is a blocked gully with muck.What has possibly happened that all the mud has collected in the gully, which probally leads to a underground drain or soakaway.This is blocked and leading to water overspill

Take a metal rod and try to poke in the hole you have in your picture.Try to remove mud and you will see the water will flow.

Sponsored Links
demontec, Hi

This could be an Insurance claim?

If you do make a claim, your premium will rise.

Ken

Hey,

Thanks for the replies. The gully you see is not the gully exit. The gully exit is further down and is perfectly fine and flows freely. The gully you see there is blocked off as it was from the factory and is not used/needed. It does look blocked though but is just where a little grime has fallen into the indent.

The picture below shows 2 drawn on circles (sorry, I am not very good at that sort of stuff). The circle by the white drainpipe shows where the gully is. The other oval is where I have the leak coming from.

Am I good to just seal around the join with sealant or will this not work?

I won't be doing an insurance claim. I just need to stop the leak and re-pack out my driveway.

[/img]

Sealant will not last very long. Try using some sort of Hardner. Normally drain clips in each other. How long is the section. Can you not maybe buy a replacement and clip together to stop water ingress.

Sealant will not last very long. Try using some sort of Hardner. Normally drain clips in each other. How long is the section. Can you not maybe buy a replacement and clip together to stop water ingress.

I thought that might be an issue. When you say a hardener? Can you link me to a sample product? They are fully cemented in and if I can get away with not lifting it, that would be my preference. The section is only 1 meter ish so I could attempt a replacement but I thought a product must exist that forms a long lasting water tight seal.

You will need to lift the whole section. Cannot mix and match. Try ebay. Its not that expensive to buy new one. You can then flog your's to someone looking for small section, if you cannot find the length you are after.

I would dry it would well some time in late spring, sikaflex* it and get on with life.

*Other one-part polyurethane sealants are available.

Daniel

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back