Leaking extension roof

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Could anybody help with clues to the cause of this leak.

I've lived here 11 years and never had a problem, then all of a sudden it's started leaking. The only thing I can think of it that I hosed down the roof a couple of weeks ago to get rid of the moss which had accumulated over the years. I thought this was the right thing to do, but is it possible that the moss was forming some sort of protection from the rain.

I have uploaded some photos.

//www.diynot.com/network/duckec01/albums/

Any help with a solution greatly appreciated.

Chris

Sponsored Links
as said, there are no lead flashings in sight! :eek:

the problem with using a mortar fillet, is that it is too rigid to afford any long term success, when used in conjunction with timber products.

eventually it will fail. even the s.v.p. is without a lead slate. :(

incidentally what is the pitch of the roof?

marley lulow (granular) should not be used on less than 30 degrees.

If it was the flashing or lack of, wouldn't the leak be below where the extension meets the main rear wall? The first leak I had was coming in above the window and then through the ceiling as shown in the photo.

I would say the pitch was 30 degrees but might be a bit less.

Thanks for your comments.

Sponsored Links
99% chance that it is because you have a tile fillet (and a horrible mess at the base of the soil pipe). The thing with water is that it will find the lowest point so the water may hav come in at the top but travelled down a rafter to show at the window bu the main evidence is the water coming in at the internal angle of the wall and roof.

Thanks for that.

I am selling the house shortly so don't really want go to any great expense therefore would digging out the mortar and re-doing it, do the job?

I am pretty sure it is not the flashing. I've done a water test (sprayed it with a hose) and it seems to be coming in through the two rows of tiles at the bottom.

Any ideas?

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back