Roof leak

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi,

I have roof leak in my 2nd floor bedroom. The leak is at the corner of the room. It happens when it rains heavily.

I wonder whether rain water might get through the gaps between the roof and the external wall as shown in the photo? Or am I barking up the wrong tree?

Thanks for your help!

Phil

Sponsored Links
Those gaps need to be filled - and there's likely to be more on the top of thoses stones, and down the other side, where the flashing is. Give that a good scrutiny too!
John :)

Thanks guys for the suggestion. But could that be a possible source of leak or should I look at the front of the roof?

Thanks.

Sponsored Links
If those water table stones are leaking due to whatever, the water ingress will typically show itself at the corner of the wall where it meets the ceiling.
Does that sound about right?

Thanks John!

Indeed the water leak mark starts at the corner where the wall meets the ceiling

I took a photo of that corner of the roof, but could not say whether it is ok or not

I had a roofer came in a few weeks ago. He put soakers in but the fix didn't work and it is still leaking when it rains heavily. Now he suggested it could be because the pitch of the bottom row tiles is too small and that's the problem

I have paid him over a grand already, so I really want to figure out what might be the cause rather than just letting him randomly fixing stuff... I just wish I could go up there myself to have a look! (Well, it's a three storey townhouse, so my 10 feet ladder isn't long enough).

Would his new theory be possible?

Thanks again for your help!

It looks like a Mansard roof, or certainly related to one.
The pitch of the highest roof is certainly on the low side but there's not much you can do about that one......I hope the flashing is tucked well underneath the first tile though!
Second pic - I can't see if there is any pointing between the water table stones and the lead.....or is that a photo taken before the work was done?

Indeed thats what I would call them, but up here they are called the 'water table stones' - and I've never understood why!
In this area they are typically Northumbrian sandstone and as porous as can be......and many are fully capped over with lead or Flashband. I've attended a couple of properties locally and not got down to the trouble yet :confused:

looking at the first picture it looks like the lead over the 3rd slate is not even under the first tile. The lead apron at the top of the mansard should be 150mm under the tiles and have lead burnt corners.
Also the tiles do not seem to overhang the flashing as they should

Looks like there are a few issues going on there, the eaves course, leadwork and pointing at the coping stones for a start.

Hi,

Thanks all for your info. From what you guys said, the possible problems are: -

1) Low pitch of bottom row of tiles
2) Pointing between water table / coping stones and the lead
3) Lead work
4) Tiles not overhanging the flashing (eaves course)

For 1 and 4, they are like that since the property was built 14 years ago and I did not have any leak problem. So, I assume even though they are not ideal, but aren't the causes of the current leak.

For 3, the roofer had pulled up the lead flashings covering the tiles along the parapet wall and laid soakers on each tile. So I assumed he had checked the flashings and thought they are ok.

It looks more likely that the pointing between coping stones and lead might have cracked or fallen off. Could wind blown rain go through those gaps? I have some more close-up photos (I like photos :D ).

Thanks!

The roof may have been passing water since the day it was built but only now has the felt degraded enough for it to let water through;
So you cannot disregards points 1-4 without a proper inspection.

Get the roofer to cut the flashings back on the above tiled roof and install soakers there, he should also inspect the integrity of the felt in this area while he is at it. We have fixed over a dozen jobs this way, those flat tiles nead soakers.
If you or he are further worried about the coping stone joints been compromised, grind an inch out of the top and sides and apply clear silicon to save the expense of taking them off and re-bedding them which would be a costly exercise.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back